Language of Materials
As of November 2015, written permission from the National Organization for Women (NOW) is no longer required for access to folders #1.1-3.13.
Conditions Governing Use
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
1.25 linear feet ((3 file boxes) plus 1 folio+ folder)
Series I, National Organization for Women (NOW) Task Force on Compliance and Enforcement (#1.1-3.3), contains correspondence, printed material, clippings, minutes, notes, etc., by Darcy, as well as by Mary Lynn Myers and Joan Hull, earlier task force coordinators. Topics covered in this series include task force procedures and sex discrimination actions taken by individual NOW members, NOW chapters, and the task force, particularly actions against Xerox and General Mills. Records are arranged chronologically.
Series II, National Organization for Women (NOW) Task Force on Task Forces (#3.4-3.13), contains correspondence with and surveys completed by leaders of various task forces. Topics covered in this series include the arrangement of and agenda items for meetings. Records are arranged chronologically.
Series III, Other Organizations (#3.14-3.15), contains correspondence, minutes, and potential member lists of the Association of Feminist Consultants. There is also correspondence and a proposal created by the NOW Legal Defense & Education Fund. Records are arranged alphabetically by organization name.
Folder headings are those of Darcy unless otherwise noted; archivist's headings and notes are in square brackets. All printed material by or about Darcy, as well as all printed material with annotations, has been kept in the collection. Other NOW publications and reports, except those created by Darcy, were transferred to the NOW records in the Schlesinger Library. Non-NOW printed material produced by mainstream organizations and publications was discarded; leaflets and other ephemera of small, transient organizations were retained.
Darcy was treasurer of Central New Jersey NOW (ca.1970-1971), coordinator of the Central New Jersey NOW Employment Task Force (ca.1970-1973), coordinator of New Jersey Women on Employment, a statewide coalition of New Jersey women's groups, including NOW (ca.1971-1973), and coordinator of the National Organization for Women's Task Force on Compliance and Enforcement (1973-1976), as well as the Task Force on Task Forces (ca.1974-1976).
- Series I. National Organization for Women (NOW) Task Force on Compliance and Enforcement (#1.1-3.3)
- Series II. National Organization for Women (NOW) Task Force on Task Forces (#3.4-3.13)
- Series III. Other Organizations (#3.14-3.15)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
These papers were given to the Schlesinger Library by Lynne Darcy in June 1994.
By: Johanna Carll
- Boycotts--United States
- Feminism--United States
- Feminists--United States
- Sex discrimination against women--United States
- Sex discrimination in employment--United States
- United States--Armed Forces--Women
- Women construction workers--United States
- Women's rights--United States
- Women--Legal status, laws, etc.--United States
- Darcy, Lynne. Papers of NOW officer Lynne Darcy, 1971-1976: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- These papers were processed under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA