Skip to main content
COLLECTION Identifier: HUD 3124

Records of the Aesculapian Club

Overview

The Aesculapian Club was founded as a student and alumni medical club in 1902 to promote an active and permanent interest in the affairs of the Harvard Medical School. The records document the history and activities of this society.

Dates

  • 1903-1921 and 1954-1975

Creator

Conditions on Use and Access

The Records of the Aesculapian Club are open for research.

Extent

0.3 cubic feet (2 containers)
The Records of the Aesculapian Club document the history and activities of this society. They include general information about the group, such as mailings and invititations to members. They also include the constitution, souvenirs, sketches, and odes from the annual meetings, and Club publications, including The Bulletin.

History of the Aesculapian Club

This student and alumnimedical club was founded in 1902 by Townsend W. Thorndike, MD 1902, to promote an active and permanent interest in the affairs of the Harvard Medical School. Club chapters are comprised of students selected from the senior class of the Harvard Medical School. The Club's service to the school included establishing a scholarship fund, raising funds for the construction of Vanderbilt Hall, and supporting the Aesculapian Reading Room in the Countway Library. The Club traditionally sponsored two events a year: an annual spring dinner and play and a mid-winter meeting.

Acquisition Information

The Records of the Aesculapian Club were acquired through donation. The acquisitions are as follows:
  1. 1909 February 4, The Club
  2. 1909 February 6, Dr. T. W. Thorndike
  3. 1913 January 25, Dr. T. W. Thorndike

Related Material

  1. Search HOLLIS (Harvard's online library system) for works by and about the Aesculapian Club.

Separated Material

  1. Records of the Wives of Aesculapius, 1910-1972, held at the Countway Library of Medicine, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts.

Inventory update

This document last updated 2020 January 16. Founding date of the Club was edited from 1901 to 1902.

Processing Information

The Records of the Aesculapian Club were first classified and described in the Harvard University Archives shelflist prior to 1980. In December 2007, Juliana Kuipers re-processed the material. Re-processing involved integrating and reorganizing the collection, re-housing materials in the appropriate containers, establishing a series and subseries hierarchy, and creating this inventory.

All call numbers were simplified.
Link to catalog
Title
Aesculapian Club (Harvard Medical School). Records of the Aesculapian Club : an inventory
Author
Harvard University Archives
EAD ID
hua07008

Repository Details

Part of the Harvard University Archives Repository

Holding nearly four centuries of materials, the Harvard University Archives is the principal repository for the institutional records of Harvard University and the personal archives of Harvard faculty, as well as collections related to students, alumni, Harvard-affiliates and other associated topics. The collections document the intellectual, cultural, administrative and social life of Harvard and the influence of the University as it emerged across the globe.

Contact:
Pusey Library
Harvard Yard
Cambridge MA 02138 USA
(617) 495-2461