Harvard Medical School clubs and associations photographs
The photographs described in this finding aid portray clubs and associations whose members are Harvard Medical School students, alumni, or faculty.
Conditions Governing Access
Original images are available for research use at the Center for the History of Medicine. Retrieval requires advance notice. There may be restrictions on access to some materials. Consult Public Services for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
The Harvard Medical Library and the Boston Medical Library do not hold copyright on all materials in the collection. Researchers are responsible for identifying and contacting any third-party copyright holders for permission to reproduce or publish. For more information on the Center's use, publication, and reproduction policies, view our Reproductions and Use Policy.
All images are black and white photographs that portray clubs and associations whose members are students, alumni, or faculty of Harvard Medical School. Formats and techniques include photographic prints, cabinet cards, photocollages, and composite photographs.
Images are organized into six subseries; within each subseries similar photographs are organized into image groups. Subseries are arranged alphabetically; image groups and individual images are arranged chronologically within each subseries.
N.B.: Image display may be affected by your choice of browser.
- Series: Harvard Medical School Clubs and Associations Photographs, 1855-1977.
- ___Subseries A: Aesculapian Club, 1912-1934.
- ______ Image Group 1. Aesculapian Club dinners, 1912.
- ______ Image Group 2. Aesculapian Club theatrical productions, 1934.
- ___ Subseries B: Boston Social Medical Club, 1855.
- ___Subseries C: Boylston Medical Society, ca. 1902-1977.
- ______ Image Group 1. Group portraits, ca. 1902-1907.
- ______ Image Group 2. Sesquicentennial banquet, Harvard Club of Boston, May 25, 1961.
- ______ Image Group 3. Meetings, 1977.
- ___ Subseries D: Harvard Medical Alumni Association, 1936.
- ___Subseries E: Kappa Pi Eta Dinner Club, ca. 1887-1908.
- ______ Image Group 1. Kappa Pi Eta Dinner Club (Grub Club), 1887.
- ______ Image Group 2. Kappa Pi Eta Dinner Club (Grub Club), 1887 & 1892.
- ______ Image Group 3. Kappa Pi Eta Dinner Club (Grub Club), 1907-1908.
- ___ Subseries F: Medical Exchange Club, 1928.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Harvard Medical School Clubs and Associations Photographs, 1855-1977, is a series from an artificial collection assembled in the 1960s from the holdings of the Harvard Medical Library and the Boston Medical Library. The photographs are now housed at the Center for the History of Medicine in Countway Library. Images were acquired individually or removed from manuscript or archival collections and filed by subject. Because of this practice, the provenance of many of the images has been lost.
Library Digital Initiative Project Description
This finding aid was produced as part of a Library Digital Initiative (LDI) grant project. To provide increased access to visual collections, the LDI project staff is describing approximately 4500 historical images of Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard School of Public Health, and the Boston Medical Library in a series of OASIS finding aids. Of the images described in these finding aids, 1600 will be digitized, stored in the Harvard Digital Repository (DRS), and viewable online. To provide historical context, the finding aids also include links to digitized pages of Harvard annual reports in the Harvard-Radcliffe Online Historical Reference Shelf.
Processed by Judy Greene, August 17, 2004. Selected information from the image collections management database at the Center for the History of Medicine in Countway Library was exported for inclusion in this finding aid. Formal titles for photographs are used when supplied, otherwise, descriptive titles were created and enclosed in brackets. When possible, images are described as groups rather than individually and representative images selected for viewing on-line. 'Identical' images may vary in condition and the presence or absence of inscriptions or mounts. Location number includes size. Images are small (S = less than 8 x 10 inches), medium (M = greater than 8 x 10 inches and less than 11 x 14 inches), large (L = greater than 11 x 14 inches and less than 16 x 20 inches), or extra large (XL = greater than 16 x 20 inches). A few images have also been cataloged more fully in VIA, Harvard's on-line image database.
- Aesculapian Club (Harvard Medical School)
- Bowditch, H. P. (Henry Pickering)
- Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine)
- Composite Photographs
- Education, Medical (MeSH)
- Harvard Medical School
- Harvard Medical School -- Alumni and alumnae.
- Harvard Medical School -- Awards.
- Harvard Medical School -- Faculty.
- Harvard Medical School -- Photograph collections.
- Harvard Medical School -- Societies, etc.
- Harvard Medical School -- Students.
- Harvard University -- Anniversaries, etc.
- Means, James Howard, 1885-1967.
- Medical Education.
- Nobel Prize-winning scientists.
- Physicians (MeSH)
- Physicians -- Photographs.
- Portraits, Group.
- Richardson, Maurice Howe, 1851-1912
- Shattuck, Frederick Cheever, 1847-1929
- White, Paul Dudley, 1886-1973
- Harvard Medical School Clubs and Associations Photographs, 1855-1977: Finding Aid.
- Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. Center for the History of Medicine.
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine) Repository
The Center for the History of Medicine in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine is one of the world's leading resources for the study of the history of health and medicine. Our mission is to enable the history of medicine and public health to inform healthcare, the health sciences, and the societies in which they are embedded.
10 Shattuck Street
Boston MA 02115