Audiotape collection of the National Women's Political Caucus, 1977-2000
Collection includes audiotapes of Caucus activities such as committee meetings, luncheons, convention proceedings and speeches, candidate training sessions and critiques, and radio and live appearances featuring the NWPC or its representatives and founders. Also included are campaign strategy slide shows with accompanying audio.
- National Women's Political Caucus (U.S.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Access. An appointment is necessary to use any audiovisual material. Materials are unrestricted, except for reels #1-85, which are closed to research use for the length of time indicated, but are available for National Women's Political Caucus administrative use with the written permission of National Women's Political Caucus's executive director or president.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright. The National Women's Political Caucus retains its copyright in the audiovisual materials it produced, while copyright in other audiovisual materials in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright before excerpting materials for use in publication. If and when the Caucus ceases to exist, copyright of their material will be transferred to the President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library.
Copying. Unrestricted audiovisual materials may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures. Restricted material may be copied only with the written permission of the executive director or president.
3 folders (3 slide folders)
Series I, COMMITTEE MEETINGS, 1979-2000 (#1-85), contains administrative, political planning and national steering committee meetings, etc. Items in this series are closed 50 years from recording date.
Series II, WORKSHOPS, 1978-1991 (#86-130), contains training sessions in areas such as media coverage, as well as critiques for candidates running for office.
Series III, BIENNIAL CONVENTIONS, LOBBY DAYS, LUNCHEONS, ETC., 1970s-1993 (#131-208, 240-266), includes proceedings and speeches, often by well known politicians and public figures, from conventions, topical roundtable discussions, Lobby Days, and luncheons.
Series IV, RADIO AND LIVE PUBLIC APPEARANCES, 1977-1993 (#209-228), contains radio appearances by NWPC representatives and other high-profile speakers in interviews about the Caucus and topics related to women participating in politics. Live appearances include a celebration honoring the Caucus's collection being given to the Schlesinger Library.
Series V, PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS, ca.1980s (#229-234), contains Public Service Announcements [PSAs] for both the organization and its pro-Equal Rights Amendment and "Get Out the Vote" efforts.
Series VI, CAMPAIGN STRATEGY SLIDE SHOWS, ca.1979-1981 (#235-239), contains color slide shows with accompanying audiotapes.
Materials are audiocassettes unless otherwise noted.
The National Women's Political Caucus was formed in 1971 as a multiparty organization seeking to gain an equal voice and place for women in the political process at the local, state and national levels. The Caucus and its state affiliates support women candidates for elective and appointive offices and seek to ensure that women hold policy-making positions in the Democratic and Republican political parties. They have lobbied in state legislatures for the Equal Rights Amendment, women's reproductive rights, and other measures to promote women's equality.
The collection is arranged in six series:
- Series I. Committee meetings, 1979-2000 (#1-85)
- Series II. Workshops, 1978-1991 (#86-130)
- Series III. Biennial conventions, Lobby Days, luncheons, etc., 1970s-1993 (#131-208, 240-266)
- Series IV. Radio and live public appearances, 1977-1993 (#209-228)
- Series V. Public Service Announcements (PSAs), ca.1980s (#229-234)
- Series VI. Campaign strategy slide shows, ca.1979-1981 (#235-239)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession number: 91-M118, 91-M128, 91-M133, 92-M162, 94-M24, 94-M117, 98-M159, 2003-M14, 2005-M149, 2010-M218
These audiovisual materials were given to the Schlesinger Library by the National Women's Political Caucus (NWPC) between April 1991 and November 2005, and by Kathryn Willmore in November 2010.
Processed: April 2011
By: Melissa Dollman
- Color slides
- Elections--United States
- Equal rights amendments--United States
- Feminism--United States
- Feminists--United States
- Legislators--United States
- Lobbying--United States
- Political conventions--United States
- Pro-choice movement--United States
- Radio public service announcements
- Sex discrimination against women--Law and legislation--United States
- Voting research--United States
- Women legislators--United States
- Women political activists
- Women political candidates
- Women's rights--United States
- Women--Political activity--United States
- Women--Social networks--United States
- Women--Societies and clubs
- National Women's Political Caucus (U.S.). Audiotape collection of the National Women's Political Caucus, 1977-2000: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future. In addition to its traditional strengths in the history of feminisms, women’s health, and women’s activism, the Schlesinger collections document the intersectional workings of race and ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and class in American history.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA