Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
1.79 linear feet ((2 file boxes, 1 folio box) plus 8 photograph folders, 2 audiotapes)
Series I, BIOGRAPHICAL AND PERSONAL, 1941-1997 (#1.1-2.2), contains drafts of Hastings' memoirs, letters to her first husband and soon-to-be second husband, oral history transcripts, and letters of commendation.
Series II, UNITED SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS (USO), 1942-1955 (#2.3-2.12), contains Hastings' reports to the USO and correspondence with, articles about the USO by Hastings and others, and miscellaneous reports from the USO.
Series III, PHOTOGRAPHS, AUDIOTAPES, AND OVERSIZED, 1941-1997 (#PD.1-PD.8, T-273.1-T-273.2, 3vf), is arranged in 3 subseries: photographs, audiotapes, and oversized.
Subseries A, Photographs, 1941-1955 (#PD.1-PD.8), contains a retirement scrapbook Jane in Oxnard (1955) and other photographs. Included are images from Skagway (Alaska), Falmouth (Massachusetts), and Chandler (Arizona).
Most of the photographs in this collection are or will be cataloged in VIA, Harvard University's Visual Information Access database. Others, referred to as "uncataloged" photographs, are not of sufficient research interest to warrant cataloging and are simply treated as part of the documents they accompany; they are marked on the back with an asterisk in square brackets [*].
Subseries B, Audiotapes, 1995, 1997 (#T-273.1-T-273.2), consists of two oral history interviews.
Subseries C. Oversized, 1943-1945 (#3vf), consists of Hastings' photograph album of Skagway, Alaska.
The following chronology reflects her fourteen-year career with the USO:
- 1941-1943: Falmouth, Massachusetts
- 1943-1945: Skagway, Alaska, and 13 outposts
- 1945-1946: Sao Luis, Fortaleza, and Recife, Brazil
- 1946-1947: Ponce, Puerto Rico
- 1948-1949: USO/YWCA National Board, New York, New York
- 1949-1950: Chandler, Arizona (Maricopa County USO)
- 1950-1951: Rantoul, Illinois (Chanute Field)
- 1951-1955: Oxnard, California (Ventura County USO)
- Series I. Biographical and personal, 1941-1997 (#1.1-2.2)
- Series II. United Service Organizations (USO), 1942-1955 (#2.3-2.12)
- Series III. Photographs, Audiotapes, and Oversized, 1941-1997 (#PD.1-PD.8, T-273.1-T-273.2, 3vf)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers of Jane Hope Hastings were given to the Schlesinger Library by Jane Hope Hastings between 1993 and 1997, and by her estate in 2006.
By: Cat Lea Holbrook
- Drafts (documents)
- Korean War, 1950-1953--Women--United States
- Military bases, American--Brazil
- Military bases, American--Puerto Rico
- Military bases--Alaska
- Military bases--Arizona
- Military bases--California
- Military bases--Massachusetts
- Oral histories
- Soldiers--Recreation--United States
- World War, 1939-1945--War work
- World War, 1939-1945--Women--Alaska
- World War, 1939-1945--Women--Massachusetts
- Hastings, Jane Hope, 1902-2006. Papers of Jane Hope Hastings, 1941-1997: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- Processing of this collection was made possible by a gift from the estate of Jane Hope Hastings.
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA