Videotape and motion picture collection of the National Women's Political Caucus, 1981-2003
Collection includes motion pictures or videotapes of Caucus activities such as committee meetings, luncheons, convention proceedings and speeches, candidate training sessions and critiques, and television appearances featuring the National Women's Political Caucus or its representatives and founders. Also included is a sample of entries by National Women's Political Caucus's media award (EMMA) winners.
- National Women's Political Caucus (U.S.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Access. An appointment is necessary to use any audiovisual material. Materials are unrestricted, except for reels #1-5, which are closed to research use for the length of time indicated, but are available for NWPC administrative use with the written permission of NWPC's executive director or president.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright. The National Women's Political Caucus retains its copyright in the audiovisual materials it produced, while copyright in other audiovisual materials in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright before excerpting materials for use in publication. If and when the Caucus ceases to exist, copyright of their material will be transferred to the President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library.
Copying. Unrestricted audiovisual materials may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures. Restricted records may be copied only with the written permission of the executive director or president.
1 motion pictures (visual works)
Series I, CONVENTION HIGHLIGHTS, COMMITTEE MEETINGS, GALAS, ETC.,1983-1993 (#1-19), contains organizational meetings and roundtable discussions, as well as celebrations and fundraisers with well-known speakers and entertainers. Television recordings of convention highlights, meetings, etc. are included here, instead of in Series IV.
Series II, WORKSHOPS,1988-1999 (#20-52), contains recordings of training sessions in areas such as media coverage and critiques for candidates.
Series III, EMMA AWARD WINNERS, 1986-2003 (#53-57), contains a sampling of National Women's Political Caucus's Exceptional Merit Media Award winners.
Series IV, TELEVISION APPEARANCES,1983-2000 (#58-74), includes television appearances by, and news coverage or tributes to Caucus members or high-profile candidates.
Series V, PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS AND FILMS,1981-1993 (#75-81, MP-29.1), includes promotional videos and films produced by, or in collaboration with, the Caucus.
Materials are VHS unless otherwise noted.
The National Women's Political Caucus was formed in 1971 as a multiparty organization seeking to gain an equal voice and place for women in the political process at the local, state and national levels. The Caucus and its state affiliates support women candidates for elective and appointive offices and seek to ensure that women hold policy-making positions in the Democratic and Republican political parties. They have lobbied in state legislatures for the Equal Rights Amendment, women's reproductive rights, and other measures to promote women's equality.
The collection is arranged in five series:
- Series I. Convention highlights, committee meetings, galas, etc., 1983-1993 (#1-19)
- Series II. Workshops, 1988-1999 (#20-52)
- Series III. EMMA Award winners, 1986-2003 (#53-57)
- Series IV. Television appearances, 1983-2000 (#58-74)
- Series V. Promotional videos and films, 1981-1993 (#75-81, MP-29.1)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession number: 91-M128, 91-M159, 93-M188, 94-M117, 2005-M149
These audiovisual materials were given to the Schlesinger Library by the National Women's Political Caucus (NWPC) between August 1991 and November 2005.
Processed: April 2011
By: Melissa Dollman
- Elections--United States
- Equal rights amendments--United States
- Feminism--United States
- Feminists--United States
- Legislators--United States
- Lobbying--United States
- Motion pictures
- Political conventions--United States
- Pro-choice movement--United States
- Sex discrimination against women--Law and legislation--United States
- Television programs
- Television public service announcements
- Voting research--United States
- Women legislators--United States
- Women political activists
- Women political candidates
- Women's rights--United States
- Women--Political activity--United States
- Women--Social networks--United States
- Women--Societies and clubs
- National Women's Political Caucus (U.S.). Videotape and motion picture collection of the National Women's Political Caucus, 1981-2003: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future. In addition to its traditional strengths in the history of feminisms, women’s health, and women’s activism, the Schlesinger collections document the intersectional workings of race and ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and class in American history.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA