Records of the Women's City Club of Boston, 1913-1992
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
Copying. Records may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
19.81 linear feet ((47 + 1/2 file boxes) plus 2 photograph folders)
Series I, HISTORY AND ADMINISTRATION, 1913-1984, n.d. (#1.1-9.5, PD.1), includes correspondence, speeches, and writings; articles of incorporation and by-laws; annual reports; administrative policies and procedures; minutes; and architectural records that include photographs and slides. The records are organized as three subseries:
Subseries A, History, 1922-1984, n.d. (#1.1-1.5, PD.1), includes the Club's mission statement; organizational history detailed in writings, speeches, correspondence, and testimonies; architectural records; and photographs and slides of the Club's properties at 39 and 40 Beacon Street. Folders are arranged alphabetically.
Subseries B, Annual meetings and reports, 1913-1982 (#1.6-2.6), contains minutes from annual and special meetings, and annual reports. There is substantial overlap between these records (which include financial statements, announcements of programs and fund-raising events, and yearly accomplishments and goals) and the records of the executive committee. The records were originally stored in 3-ring binders, which were dismantled. Folders are arranged alphabetically.
Subseries C, Executive committee, 1913-1982 (#3.1-9.5), includes minutes with supporting correspondence; financial statements; reports from various committees; and revised by-laws. Minutes of the board of governors, successor to the executive committee, are also included. With the exception of the earliest bound volume of minutes (#3.1), which includes articles of incorporation, by-laws, and a list of the first charter members of the Club, the records were originally stored in 3-ring binders, which were dismantled. Folders are arranged alphabetically.
Series II, COMMITTEES, 1913-1974 (#9.6-17.11), contains records related to the work of standing and ad hoc committees as outlined in the by-laws or appointed by the executive committee for specific short-term purposes. Records that were originally stored in 3-ring binders have been dismantled and organized as two subseries:
Subseries A, Standing committees, 1913-1974 (#9.6-16.10), includes minutes; correspondence; financial statements; reports detailing specific accomplishments, programs and activities; and listings of committee officers. Folders are arranged alphabetically.
Subseries B, Ad hoc committees, 1914-1938 (#17.1-17.11), includes minutes; correspondence; financial statements; and reports of short-term or defunct committees. Folders are arranged alphabetically.
Series III, PUBLICATIONS AND PUBLICITY, 1913-1979 (#18.1-48.1v, PD.2), includes publications; clippings; press releases; public announcements; membership directories; and related material used to promote the accomplishments, activities, and services of the Club. The records are organized as two subseries:
Subseries A, Women's City Club of Boston Bulletin, 1914-1979 (#18.1-28.7), contains a substantial number of bound volumes and a smaller number of folders containing unbound Bulletins, which include annual reports; records of the executive committee; reports of the President and various committees; financial statements; public announcements of upcoming events and educational lectures; and lists of new members. There is some overlap with the annual reports and records of the executive committee in Series I. Bulletins were published in newsletter format or as pamphlets by the mid-1970s. Folders are arranged chronologically.
Subseries B, Clippings and related, 1913-1992, n.d. (scattered) (#29.1v-48.1v, PD.2), contains bound volumes of clippings, and a few folders of loose clippings, collected from newspapers in Boston and elsewhere in Massachusetts. There are some discrepancies between the dates printed on volume spines and the actual content. Also included are press releases, public announcements, and photographs. Folders are arranged alphabetically.
A selection of the photographs in this collection are or will be cataloged in VIA, Harvard University's Visual Information Access database. Others, referred to as "uncataloged" photographs, are not of sufficient research interest to warrant cataloging and are simply treated as part of the documents they accompany; they are marked on the back with an asterisk in square brackets [*].
In 1914 the Club's membership reached 3,000. Coincidentally, a Federal-style townhouse at 40 Beacon Street became available and was purchased by the Forty Beacon Street Associates. The building was leased to the Club on May 1, 1914, and after extensive renovations, opened in the fall of the same year. The Club purchased the building for $135,000 in 1919 and retired the mortgage in 1927.
In its formative period, the Club's activities, which included lectures, annual dinners, dances, war-time relief efforts, and public events, contributed to a growing membership. The Club also formed strong ties with affiliate organizations across the country. Men were permitted to use its dining room and other facilities, but had no voting or property rights. The Club was also noted for its active role in civic affairs, including fundraisers for victims of the 1914 Salem fire.
In 1939, the Club purchased the adjacent building at 39 Beacon Street, which was formerly known as the Nathan Appleton House, built ca.1818 and remembered for the wedding of Henry Wadsworth and Fannie Appleton. The Club also owned other properties, including 5 Walnut Street, purchased by Helen Osborne Storrow and rented to the club for its lending library, public events, and sewing circles.
From a peak membership of 5,000, reached shortly before the Great Depression, the Club continued to thrive through the 1950s. It took a downturn in the 1960s when operating costs exceeded its revenue, and, like many women's clubs, it had difficulty attracting new members. Although 39 Beacon Street was designated a national historic landmark in 1979, the Club's continued financial losses necessitated its sale in 1984. Despite these challenges, Club members continued to hold meetings and events at their other buildings. In 1991, with approximately 150 members, the Club filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. A year later, 40 Beacon Street was offered for sale. Suffolk University attempted to purchase the property, and would have allowed club members continued use. However, conflicts developed over the University's intended use of the building, and the sale fell through. An associate of the Union Club in Boston in 2010, the Women's City Club of Boston has approximately 20 members who regularly meet to conduct Club business.
- Series I, History and administration, 1913-1984, n.d. (#1.1-9.5, PD.1)
- ___Subseries A, History, 1922-1984, n.d. (#1.1-1.5, PD.1)
- ___Subseries B, Annual meetings and reports, 1913-1982 (#1.6-2.6)
- ___Subseries C, Executive committee, 1913-1982 (#3.1-9.5)
- Series II, Committees, 1913-1974 (#9.6-17.11)
- ___Subseries A, Standing committees, 1913-1974 (#9.6-16.10)
- ___Subseries B, Ad hoc committees, 1914-1938 (#17.1-17.11)
- Series III, Publications and publicity, 1913-1979 (#18.1-48.1v., PD.2)
- ___Subseries A, Women's City Club of Boston Bulletins, 1914-1979 (#18.1-28.7)
- ___Subseries B, Clippings and related, 1913-1992, n.d. (scattered) (29.1v-48.1v., PD.2)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
These records were given to the Schlesinger Library by the Women's City Club of Boston in 1992 and 1994.
By: Emilyn L. Brown
- Annual reports
- Boston (Mass.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
- Boston (Mass.)--Social life and customs--20th century
- Women volunteers in social service--Massachusetts--Boston
- Women--Social networks--United States
- Women--Societies and clubs
- Women--United States--Social conditions
- World War, 1914-1918--Women--Massachusetts
- World War, 1939-1945--Women--Massachusetts
- Women's City Club of Boston. Records of the Women's City Club of Boston, 1913-1992: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- Processing of this collection was made possible by gifts from generous supporters of the Schlesinger Library to the Maximum Access Fund.
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA