Papers of Patricia Frazer Lamb and Kathryn Hohlwein, 1949-1985
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
Copying. Researchers may photocopy any papers to which they have been granted access.
2.09 linear feet (5 file boxes)
Portions of this collection were processed and made available using the accession number 85-M166. In April 2014, correspondence and transcriptions received in 1988 and 1990 were interfiled with the original material.
Kathryn Joyce Jerrell Hohlwein (1930- ), writer and teacher, was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah, the daughter of Warner and Helen Jerrell. She earned her B.A. in English from the University of Utah in 1953 and her M.A. in creative writing from Middlebury College in Vermont two years later. During a year in France on a Fulbright teaching scholarship, she met and married Hans-Juergen Hohlwein, a German painter. The couple taught together in Beirut for two years, lived briefly in Scotland, and then returned to the United States; a series of teaching posts took them to Des Moines, Iowa, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Columbus, Ohio. They had three children during this time: Reinhard (1955- ), Andrea (1961- ), and Laura (1963- ). The Hohlweins were divorced in l972.
For further biographical information on Lamb and Hohlwein, see Touchstones: Letters Between Two Women, 1953-1964.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers of Patricia Frazer Lamb and Kathryn Hohlwein were given to the Schlesinger Library by Patricia Frazer Lamb between August 1985 and May 1990.
By: Elizabeth Young
Updated: April 2014
By: Anne Engelhart
- Authors, American
- Bereavement--Psychological aspects
- College teachers--United States
- Divorce--United States
- Europe--Description and travel
- Friendship--United States
- Lebanon--Social life and customs--20th century
- Middle West--Social life and customs--20th century
- Mothers and daughters--United States
- Salt Lake City (Utah)--Social life and customs--20th century
- Sex in marriage
- Tanzania--Social life and customs--20th century
- Voyages and travels
- Women authors
- Women--Sexual behavior
- Lamb, Patricia Frazer. Papers of Patricia Frazer Lamb and Kathryn Hohlwein, 1949-1985: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA