David Charny papers
- 1979 - 2000
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Extent76 manuscript boxes, 1 oversize (32 linear feet)
- 1955Born September 16 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- 1977Graduated summa cum laude with exceptional distinction from Yale University.
- 1982Graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School.
- 1982-83Served as law clerk to Judge Malcolm R. Wilkey of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
- 1983-84Served as law clerk to Supreme Court Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr.
- 1984Joined Harvard Law School faculty as assistant professor of law.
- 1991Appointed professor of law at Harvard Law School.
- 1999Appointed David Berg Professor of Law at Harvard Law School.
- August 31, 2000Died at his home in Cambridge, MA.
- Born September 16 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Graduated summa cum laude with exceptional distinction from Yale University.
- Graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School.
- Served as law clerk to Judge Malcolm R. Wilkey of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
- Served as law clerk to Supreme Court Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr.
- Joined Harvard Law School faculty as assistant professor of law.
- Appointed professor of law at Harvard Law School.
- Appointed David Berg Professor of Law at Harvard Law School.
- August31, 2000
- Died at his home in Cambridge, MA.
- Series I. Harvard Law School, 1979-2000 1979-2000 This series is made up of the material generated by Charnyduring his time as a professor at Harvard Law School. Material fromcorporations, contracts, employment law, and legal theory courses areparticularly well-represented.
- ___ Subseries A. Teaching, 1985-20001985-2000
- ___Subseries B. Correspondence, 1979-20001979-2000
- ___ Subseries C. Conferences and Talks, 1985-20001985-2000
- Series II. Writings, 1985-2000 1985-2000 This series consists of writings by both Charny andothers, including drafts and published works. Many, though not all,of the papers in this series are heavily annotated by Charny.
- ___Subseries A. Writings by Charny, 1990-20001990-2000
- ___Subseries B. Writings by Others, 1985-20001985-2000
- Series III. Research
This series consists of research material generated byCharny for his writings and teachings. The original order of thismaterial and folder titles have been maintained as much as possible.There is often significant overlap between material in Series III andthat found in Charny's teaching material.
- Series IV. Other Professional Material, 1991-20001991-2000
This series contains professional material from outsideof Harvard. It mainly consists of material fromconferences.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Floppys disks from this collection are in a queue for reformatting and future access. Contact staff for more information. Harvard Law School institutional publications already held in the Red Set, including faculty, staff, and student directories; registration and course evaluation guides; and faculty manuals, were discarded.
- Charny, David. Papers, 1979-2000: Finding Aid.
- Harvard Law School Library, Cambridge, MA 02138
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard Law School Library, Historical & Special Collections Repository
Harvard Law School Library's Historical & Special Collections (HSC) collects, preserves, and makes available research materials for the study of the law and legal history. HSC holds over 8,000 linear feet of manuscripts, over 100,000 rare books, and more than 70,000 visual images.
1545 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138 USA