David Westfall papers
- 1976 - 2005
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Extent1 collection (15 linear feet in 15 boxes.)
- April 16, 1927Born in Columbia, Missouri
- 1947B.A. Economics, University of Missouri
- 1950LL.B. Harvard Law School. Member, Harvard Law Review. Received Fay Diploma for highest combined grade point average.
- 1950?Served in the Office of the Judge Advocate General, Washington, D.C.
- 1950-1955Practiced law at Bell, Boyd, Marshall & Lloyd, Chicago, Illinois
- 1955Joined the Harvard Law School faculty
- 1958Received tenure
- 1961-1966Assistant Reporter, American Law Institute
- 1964-1968Consultant to U.S. Department of the Treasury
- 1980-1983Named John L. Watson, Jr. Chair, Harvard Law School
- 1983-2005Named John L. Gray Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
- 1991-2005Member of the ALI's consultative group on the principles of the law of family dissolution
- 1996-2005Named Carl F. Schipper, Jr. Chair, Harvard Law School
- December 7, 2005Died, age 78
- April 16, 1927
- Born in Columbia, Missouri
- B.A. Economics, University of Missouri
- LL.B. Harvard Law School. Member, Harvard Law Review. Received Fay Diploma for highest combined grade point average.
- Served in the Office of the Judge Advocate General, Washington, D.C.
- Practiced law at Bell, Boyd, Marshall & Lloyd, Chicago, Illinois
- Joined the Harvard Law School faculty
- Received tenure
- Assistant Reporter, American Law Institute
- Consultant to U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Named John L. Watson, Jr. Chair, Harvard Law School
- Named John L. Gray Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
- Member of the ALI's consultative group on the principles of the law of family dissolution
- Named Carl F. Schipper, Jr. Chair, Harvard Law School
- December 7, 2005
- Died, age 78
- Series I. Harvard Law School Teaching and Research, 1976-20051976-2005
This series comprises the bulk of the collection. It isarranged alphabetically by subject. It includes course material andresearch material, mainly printouts and copies of articles and casereports, for Westfall’s Employment Law and Discrimination, FamilyLaw, Labor Law, and Property Law/Property Tax courses. Included inthe Property Law boxes is a significant amount of research materialcreated by Westfall and student assistants pertaining to new forms ofproperty such as taxi medallions, airport landing slots, and manymore. Westfall was working on a scholarly project about new forms ofproperty during his later years. At the end of this series is a smallamount of general and miscellaneous material related to Westfall’steaching and research at Harvard, including student information,descriptions of research projects, general administrative items, andhis publication Every Woman’s Guide to Financial Planning (1984).Some papers in this series will be closed.
- Series II. OtherTeaching: Program of Instruction for Lawyers and InternationalTeaching, 1997-20051997-2005
This series contains a small amount of materialrelated to Westfall’s teaching in the Harvard Law School’s Program ofInstruction for Lawyers (1997-2002) and in several countries(2003-2005). Some papers in this series will be closed.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Discrimination in Employment—Study and Teaching
- Discrimination in Employment—Law and Legislation—United States
- Domestic Relations—Study and Teaching—United States
- Harvard Law School
- Harvard Law School—Faculty
- Labor Laws and Legislation—Study and Teaching
- Law—Study and Teaching
- Program of Instruction for Lawyers
- Property—Study and Teaching—United States
- Westfall, David. Papers, 1976-2005: Finding Aid
- Harvard Law School Library, Cambridge, MA 02138
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard Law School Library, Historical & Special Collections Repository
Harvard Law School Library's Historical & Special Collections (HSC) collects, preserves, and makes available research materials for the study of the law and legal history. HSC holds over 8,000 linear feet of manuscripts, over 100,000 rare books, and more than 70,000 visual images.
1545 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138 USA