Buildings papers on Appleton Chapel
Harvard University's Appleton Chapel was constructed in 1855-1856. It was designed by architect Paul Schulze as a stand-alone building to replace the chapel in University Hall. Appleton Chapel as a structure was replaced in turn by Memorial Church. Memorial Church was dedicated in 1932. The Appleton Chapel continues as a named chapel within the new building. This collection holds a scattering of records relating to the design, dedication, and use of the chapel.
- 1855-1857 and 1928
- Harvard University. Corporation (Organization)
The Buildings papers on Appleton Chapel are open for research use.
Copying of fragile materials may be limited.
Extent0.5 cubic feet (2 portfolio folders and 1 letter-sized folder)
This collection holds a scattering of records relating to the design, dedication, and use of the chapel.
Appleton Chapel historical note
Harvard University's Appleton Chapel was constructed in 1855-1856 and demolished in 1931. It was designed by architect Paul Schulze to replace the chapel in University Hall. Appleton Chapel was replaced as a stand-alone building by Memorial Church. Memorial Church was dedicated in 1932. Appleton Chapel continues as a named chapel within the Memorial Church building.
Paul Schulze biographical note
Paul Schulze trained as an architect in Berlin and Vienna. He arrived in Boston in 1849 and designed buildings for Harvard University. He moved to New York in 1858 and to Washington, D.C. in 1877 where he designed government buildings. He was born in Breslau, German in 1827 or 1828 and died in California in 1897.
The documents in this collection are University records and were acquired in the course of University business.
This document last updated 2016 August 29.
This inventory was created by Kate Bowers in October 2013 from a variety of information sources. The titles were devised by the archivist. The collection was not examined.
- Harvard University. Corporation. Buildings papers on Appleton Chapel, 1855-1928 : an inventory
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard University Archives Repository
Holding nearly four centuries of materials, the Harvard University Archives is the principal repository for the institutional records of Harvard University and the personal archives of Harvard faculty, as well as collections related to students, alumni, Harvard-affiliates and other associated topics. The collections document the intellectual, cultural, administrative and social life of Harvard and the influence of the University as it emerged across the globe.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA