Language of Materials
Access to Collection
Extent43.3 cubic feet (129 boxes)
Biography of Donald Howard Menzel
His academic career began at the University of Denver, where he earned AB and MA degrees. He earned his Ph.D. at Princeton. He first came to Harvard when Harlow Shapley employed him as a research assistant for three summers while he was studying at Princeton. He taught briefly at the University of Iowa and Ohio State until he received an appointment at Lick Observatory. He came to Harvard in 1932.
World War II interrupted his teaching and research. He spent a year in administrative duties and teaching cryptanalysis, then joined the U.S. Navy.
After the war, he returned to Harvard. In 1952, he began as acting director of the Harvard College Observatory, becoming permanent director after two years. Under his leadership, Harvard forged a relationship with the Smithsonian Institution, which lead to the establishment of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.
Provenance and Acquisition Information
Accession number: 7542?, 7549? unknown dates
Accession number: 7781; received: 1975 December 19
Accession number: 8119; received: 1977 May 26
Accession number: 8128; received: 1977 June 7
Accession number: 8220; received: 1977 September 12
Accession number: 8352; received: 1977 May 26
Accession number: 8515; received: 1978 November 01
Accession number: 8639; received: 1979 May 03
Accession number: 8748; received: 1979 August 14
Accession number: 9200; received: 1981 June 08
Accession number: 9734; received: 1983 June 01
Accession number: 10277; received: 1984 October 10
Accession number: 10742; received: 1986 May 20
Accession number: 11628; received: 1989 February 06
Accession number: 11859; received: 1989 November 7
Accession number: 12306; received: 1991 October 29
- Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy.
- Astronomers -- Archives.
- Astronomy -- Research.
- Astronomy -- Societies, etc.
- Astronomy -- Study and teaching.
- Eclipses, Solar -- 1973.
- Harvard College Observatory
- Harvard University--Faculty
- International Astronomical Union.
- International Scientific Radio Union.
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963.
- United States. Air Force.
- United States. Navy.
- Menzel, Donald Howard, 1901- Papers of Donald Howard Menzel : an inventory
- Published in 2000
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- This finding aid has been encoded by the Center for History of Physics, American Institute of Physics as part of a collaborative project supported by a grant from the National Endowment of the Humanities, an independent federal agency. Collaboration members in 1999 consisted of: American Institute of Physics, California Institute of Technology, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northwestern University, Rice University, University of Alaska, University of Illinois, and University of Texas.
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard University Archives Repository
Holding nearly four centuries of materials, the Harvard University Archives is the principal repository for the institutional records of Harvard University and the personal archives of Harvard faculty, as well as collections related to students, alumni, Harvard-affiliates and other associated topics. The collections document the intellectual, cultural, administrative and social life of Harvard and the influence of the University as it emerged across the globe.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA