- Cannon, Annie Jump, 1863-1941 (Person)
Access to Collection
12 cubic feet (35 boxes and 4 folders)
Biography of Annie Jump Cannon
After earning a B.S. at Wellesley College in 1884, she spent the next ten years both at home and travelling abroad. She returned to Wellesley in 1894 for graduate study in mathematics, physics, and astronomy. She became interested in stellar spectra while studying under Professor Sarah Whiting. In 1895, Cannon began her study of astronomy at Radcliffe College, joining the Harvard College Observatory staff in 1897.
She spent the rest of her life in the Harvard College Observatory. In 1897 she was a research assistant under Professor E. C. Pickering. She became Curator of Astronomical Photographs in 1911, and in 1940, just two years before her retirement, she was finally awarded the rank of professor as the William Cranch Bond Astronomer.
She published the nine-volume Henry Draper Catalog, containing information about 225,000 stars, and supplemented by the Henry Draper Extension. The catalog is still accepted as an international standard. She received many honors and awards, including a D.Sc. from Oxford University, making her the first woman to receive an honorary degree from that institution.
Provenance and Custodial History Information
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Changed eadid
- Changed titleproper
- Inserted frontmatter
- Deleted "Pusey Library" from repository address
- Replaced enumerated C elements with recursive C elements
- changed all C level=file to C level=item
- Added spaces after box numbers
- HUGFP 125.4 and HUGFP 125.95 eliminated container elements containing only the word "folder" from the items in this series
- Amended subseries hierarchy in some series by adding Cs and upgrading some existing Cs (level=item) to level = subseries
- Eliminated the phrase "correspondence and other papers" from unittitles
AJC = Jump Cannon
MLM = Margaret W. Mayall
MM = Margaret W. Mayall
HS = Harlow Shapley
BLW = Barbara L. Welther
Abbreviations for Societies
AG = Astronomische Gesellschaft
AAUW = American Association of University Women
AAAS = American Association for the Advancement of Science
APS = American Philosophical Society
IAU = International Astronomical Union
RAS = Royal Astronomical Society
Abbreviations for Journals and Publications
HD = Henry Draper Catalogue
HA = Harvard Annals
- Cannon, Annie Jump, 1863-1941.
- Glass plate negatives
- Harvard College Observatory
- Harvard University -- Astronomy.
- Harvard University Faculty.
- Harvard University.
- Lantern slides.
- Mayall, Margaret W. (Margaret Walton), correspondent.
- Photographic prints.
- Wellesley College -- Students.
- Women astronomers -- Archives.
- Cannon, Annie Jump, 1863-1941. Papers of Annie Jump Cannon : an inventory
- Harvard University Archives
- Published in 2000
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- This finding aid has been encoded by the Center for History of Physics, American Institute of Physics as part of a collaborative project supported by a grant from the National Endowment of the Humanities, an independent federal agency. Collaboration members in 1999 consisted of: American Institute of Physics, California Institute of Technology, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northwestern University, Rice University, University of Alaska, University of Illinois, and University of Texas.
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard University Archives Repository
Holding nearly four centuries of materials, the Harvard University Archives is the principal repository for the institutional records of Harvard University and the personal archives of Harvard faculty, as well as collections related to students, alumni, Harvard-affiliates and other associated topics. The collections document the intellectual, cultural, administrative and social life of Harvard and the influence of the University as it emerged across the globe.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA