Records of the President of Harvard University, James Bryant Conant, 1933-1955
- Harvard University. President's Office. (Organization)
Conditions on Use and Access
Additional notations concerning restrictions appear throughout this inventory.
175 cubic feet (525 containers)
History Note: Conant's Harvard Presidency, 1933-1953
His tenure as President was notably marked by World War II. Before the United States entered the war, he was a vocal supporter of U.S. involvement. Conant served on the National Defense Research Committee directing atomic research and the implementation of atomic warfare. Under Conant's leadership, Harvard used its facilities and personnel to support the war effort with defense training and research.
Series and Sub-series in the Records of the President of Harvard University, James Bryant Conant
- Correspondence (1933-1955) 167 cubic feet
- ___ Official Correspondence
- ___ Unofficial Correspondence
- ___ Congratulatory Correspondence
- ___Gift File
- Administrative materials (1933-1952) .7 cubic feet
- ___Form letters
- ___Annual Reports
- Speeches and writings (1933-1952) 7 cubic feet
- ___Final Drafts
- ___First Drafts 1934-1950
- ___First Drafts 1950-1953
- Calenders (1933-1953) 1 cubic foot
- ___Engagement Calendars
- ___Office Appointment Calendars
No accruals are expected.
The original order of the records as received by the Harvard University Archives (HUA) has been preserved. However, HUA staff created a series and subseries hierarchy and assigned titles to the series and subseries. HUA staff also constructed folder lists for the Official Correspondence, Congratulatory Correspondence, Gift File, and Speeches: Final Drafts subseries. Staff created box lists for the remaining subseries. See series descriptions for arrangement of each series and subseries.
- Harvard University. President's Office. Records of the President of Harvard University, James Bryant Conant, 1933-1955 : an inventory
- Harvard University Archives
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard University Archives Repository
Holding nearly four centuries of materials, the Harvard University Archives is the principal repository for the institutional records of Harvard University and the personal archives of Harvard faculty, as well as collections related to students, alumni, Harvard-affiliates and other associated topics. The collections document the intellectual, cultural, administrative and social life of Harvard and the influence of the University as it emerged across the globe.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA