Bourne family papers
- Majority of material found within 1730-1791
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Extent3 linear feet (11 volumes and 1 box)
General index to this collection (MS Am 580) is bound and shelved with the Houghton Reading Room reference collection and an electronic version of this index is available at the end of the finding aid. A typescript index to each volume is also bound in at the front of each volume. The reference numbers in the index below refer to the volume and specifc page within the collection.
Biographical / Historical
- MS Am 579 (1-3): Correspondence of Meletiah Bourn, 1748-1779
- MS Am 579 (4): Correspondence of Sylvanus Bourn, 1775-1790
- MS Am 579 (5): Papers of the Bourne family, the Bayard family, the Bowdoin family, Dekey family estate, the St. Clair family, correspondence of Samuel Sturgis, and miscellaneous letters
- MS Am 579 (6-8): Correspondence of Nathaniel Holmes, 1738-1774
- MS Am 579 (9): Correspondence of Joseph Gorham, 1751-1774
- MS Am 579 (10): Miscellaneous Boston manuscripts
- bMS Am 579 (11): Miscellaneous Bourne materials
- MS Am 580: General index to Bourne manuscripts
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Items have been bound into volumes to form this collection. An index was orginally created and organized alphabetically (see end of finding aid). This index was reorganized in 2015 to produce this volume listing. There is a brief general index separately bound (MS Am 580), with a typescript index to each volume bound into the front of the volume.
- Bourne family. Bourne family papers, 1687-1791: Guide. MS Am 579, MS Am 580
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA