- Sparks, Jared, 1789-1866 (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Extent50 linear feet (86 volumes, 57 boxes, 11 envelopes, 3 cases, 2 folders)
Biographical / Historical
- Series I: Correspondence
- Subseries I.A: Outgoing
- Subsubseries I.A.1: Letter books
- Subsubseries I.A.2: Copies of letters sent
- Subsubseries I.A.3: Letters to Ansel Young
- Subseries I.B: Record of Letters Sent
- Subseries I.C: Miscellaneous Letters and Papers
- Series II: Compositions and Works
- Subseries II.A. Lives of
- Subseries II.B. Articles, Reports, and Essays
- Series III: Research
- Series IV: Harvard College
- Series V: Business and Financial
- Series VI: Material about Jared Sparks
- Series VII: Personal and Miscellaneous
- Subseries VII.A: Journals and Diaries
- Subseries VII.B: Commonplace Books
- Subseries VII.C: Diplomas
- Subseries VII.D: Maps
- Subseries VII.E: Translations
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Under his will, the manuscripts passed to his son, William Eliot Sparks (d. Sept. 1886), with a conditional reversion to Harvard University. However, on 2 July 1866, the Harvard College Library received the manuscripts in advance of the deaths of the legatees.
Similarly, the Jared Sparks Personal Papers (MS Sparks 106-162) have been described in a separate finding aid.
Sparks's original organization, in bound volumes has been retained. Prior to this finding aid, access to the collection was through an online index, printed and manuscript lists, and a card index.
- Sparks, Jared, 1789-1866. Jared Sparks personal papers, 1808-1866: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA