Teatro alla Scala business letters and contracts,
- 1917-1973, (bulk) 1920-1942.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
1.5 linear feet (2 boxes)
Materials include: contracts that specify the terms of the engagement and are signed by the artists; extensions or modifications of contracts; 'regolamenti del teatro' or printed regulations of the theatre, also signed by the artists; letters sent to La Scala from the artists (only two artists' files include letters from La Scala); and some miscellaneous items including receipts for music borrowed from the Scala library.
Includes the names: Franco Alfano, Gina Cigna, Toti Dal Monte, Manuel de Falla, Giuseppe De Luca, Victor De Sabata, Beniamino Gigli, Tito Gobbi, Vittorio Gui, Italo Montemezzi, Luigi Nono, Ettore Panizza, Tullio Serafin, Siegfried Wagner, Bruno Walter, Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari, among many others.
Biographical / Historical
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Position for which individual was contracted.
- Page on which the artist is indexed in Giampiero Tintori. Cronologia : opere, balletti, concerti 1778-1977. Bergamo: 1979.
- Teatro alla Scala. Teatro alla Scala business letters and contracts, 1917-1973: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- Description rules
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA