Rosamond B. Loring collection of decorated papers
- circa 1500-1950
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
A portion of this collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies and times.
Conditions Governing Use
33 linear feet (141 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
- I. Papers made by Rosamond B. Loring.
- II. Papers made by Veronica Ruzicka.
- III. Marbled papers.
- IV. Paste papers.
- V. Dutch gilt papers.
- VI. Printed papers.
- VII. Stenciled papers.
- VIII. Asian decorated papers and associated tools.
- IX. Miscellaneous decorated papers.
- X. Decorated cloth and proto-papers.
- XI. Ephemera.
- XII. Decorated papers used as covers and on covers.
- XIII. Photographs of decorated papers, textiles, and tooled book covers.
- XIV. Examples of graphic processes.
Except for series I subseries F, all items consist of one folder. The letter a, b, or c before an item number denotes the size of the folder for that item. (Folders of the same size are boxed together.) a = 38 x 29 cm.; b= 61 x 46 cm.; c= 76 x 61 cm. Some oversize items in series I marked "d" are in a box 106 x 80 cm.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Other sample books referred to in this finding aid are in the Rosamond B. Loring collection in Houghton Library, with call-numbers as follows:
- Sue Allen,
Floral patterned endpapers in nineteenth-century American books, Winterthur Portfolio 12 (1977): 183-224.
- Carlo Alberto Chiesa Libri Antichi, Raccolta di carte colarate antiche Italiane dei secoli XVIII e XIX (typescript sale catalog, 1960; Houghton Library *52L-723F Index).
- John Dreyfus,
The Curwen Press Collection in Cambridge University Library, Matrix 5 (1985): 23-32.
- Karli Frigge, Sample book of the fancy paper factory Aschaffenburg (Buren, Netherlands 1993).
- Albert Haemmerle, Buntpapier: Herkommen, Geschichte, Techniken, Beziehungen zur Kunst (Munich 1961).
- J. F. Heijbroek and T. C. Greven, Sierpapier, marmer-, brocaat- en sitspapier in Nederland (Amsterdam 1994).
- Ann King Herring, The world of chiyogami (Tokyo and New York 1987).
- Mario Infelise and Paola Marini, Remondini: Un editore del settecento. (Bassano 1990).
- Rosamond B. Loring, Decorated book papers: being an account of their designs and fashions (Cambridge, Mass. 1st ed. 1942, 2nd ed. 1952, 3rd ed. 1973).
- Alberto Milano and Elena Villani, Raccolta Bertarelli: Carta decorate (Milan 1989).
- Henry Morris, Japonica: The study and appreciation of the art of Japanese paper (1981).
- Museum of Decorative Arts, Copenhagen, Catalogue of an exhibition of block-printed papers from the 18th and early 19th centuries (typescript, ca. 1958; Houghton Library *58-1050).
- Sarah Postgate, Introduction to Patterns for papers (New York 1987).
- Piccarda Quilici, Carte decorate nella legatoria del '700 dalle Raccolte della Biblioteca Casanatense (Rome 1988).
- Hans Schmoller, Chinese decorated papers: chinoiserie for three (Newtown, Pa. 1987).
- Hans Schmoller,
An Italian paperchase, Matrix 5 (1985): 1-14.
- Tanya Schmoller,
Chinese decorated papers, Matrix 8 (1988): 94-98.
- Tanya Schmoller, Remondini and Rizzi: a chapter in Italian decorated paper history (New Castle, De. 1990).
- Tanya Schmoller, Introduction to In praise of patterned papers: A collection of essays (Oldham, Lancs. 1997).
- Curwen Press, Curwen Press figured papers (1927), *52L-731.
- Curwen Press, A specimen book of pattern papers designed for and in use at the Curwen Press (1928), *52L-25F.
- Alois Dessauer (?; ca. 1850), *52L-592.
- Grafisk Kompani, Oslo, Forsats- og overtrekkspappir (ca. 1937), *52L-603.
- Henningsen & Wolf -Jürgensen, Sample booklet (7 x 15 cm., with handwritten title "Parisermarmor"), *52L-603.
- Japan Paper Co., French marble 19 x 25 (1932), *52L-603.
- Japan Paper Co., Batik papers from Germany, *52L-603.
- Japan Paper Co., Czechoslovakian papers, *52L-605.
- Japan Paper Co., Italian wood block papers, *52L-605.
- Japan Paper Co., Sagan paper (Peka) (1929), *52L-596.
- Maunoury & Cie., Nouvelle fabrication française: "Patria" papiers de fantaisie (1920), *52L-579F.
- Remondini (Firm), Campione delle carti colorati della fabbrica di Giuseppe Remondini, e figli di Bassano (1808) (no. 1 in Chiesa, Raccolta), *52L-722.
- Giuseppe Rizzi (Firm), Sample booklet (ca. 1865), *52L-599.
- Sample book 1. See Remondini above.
- Sample book 14 = Unidentified firm, Catalogo di 42 campioni di carte fiorate a più colori (Northern Italy ca. 1840; no. 14 in Chiesa, Raccolta), *52L-723 v. 3.
- Sample book 17 = Unidentified firm, Catalogo di 67 campioni di carte a motivi floreali a più colori (Northern Italy ca. 1840; no. 17 in Chiesa, Raccolta), *52L-723 v. 5.
- Sample book 21 = Unidentified firm, Catalogo di 160 carte e 1482 campioni di cata cambrich a piccoli e grandi disegni, fiorata, liscia a tinta unita, sbruffata, quadrigilia, sagrinata, radicata, finta foglia, marmorata a più colori (Northern Italy ca. 1840; no. 21 in Chiesa, Raccolta), *52L-723F v.1.
At Houghton Library the collection was reboxed and refoldered ca. 1980 by Dennis Marnon and Doris Freitag, who also attempted to recreate the order and categories of papers as discussed in Loring's Decorated book papers. A finding list was created with one line of description for each of the 57 boxes.
In 2002 the decision was made to rehouse the collection in boxes and folders that met current conservation standards. For the same reason, and to conserve space on the shelves, the papers were removed from the cardboard backings. Any annotations by Loring on the backings were photocopied and the copies stored in the folders with the papers to which they relate. Notes on the folders include: transcriptions of Loring's notes when present (upper left corner); series and folder number (upper right corner); and cataloger's description and number of pieces in the folder (lower edge). Processing and cataloging in 2002-2007 were done by Susanne Olson, Audrey Jawando, J. F. Coakley, Quang Anh Duong, and Olympia Sosangelis.
- Loring, Rosamond B. (Rosamond Bowditch), 1889-1950, collector. Rosamond B. Loring collection of decorated papers: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA