- Majority of material found within 1862-1910
Conditions Governing Access
A small portion of this collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies and times. This only includes: bMS Am 1092.9 (4604) 39 empty cases formerly housing James papers.
Conditions Governing Use
57 linear feet (42 boxes, 37 volumes, 1 scroll box, 1 portfolio box and 5 cartons)
Collection also contains correspondence of James's parents and wife, early James family papers, daguerreotypes and photographs of the James family, an account book, scrapbooks, clippings, and miscellaneous material. Also includes manuscripts by others including student notes from his classes, and articles on his work; letters to Ralph Barton Perry from James's students and correspondence concerning Perry's The Thought and Character of William James; correspondence of Henry James III in his search for William James letters; and printed material about William James.
Also includes letters from Mary Temple to John Chipman Gray.
Biographical / Historical
- I. bMS Am 1092.9: Correspondence
- ___A. Letters to William James
- ___B. Letters from William James
- ___C. Letters to Henry James Sr.
- ___D. Letters from Henry James Sr.
- ___E. Letters to Alice Howe (Gibbens) James
- ___F. Other letters
- ___G. Early James family letters
- II. bMS Am 1092.9: Compositions
- ___A. Boxed manuscripts
- ______i. Papers on psychology
- ______ii. Papers on philosophy
- ______iii. Papers on religion
- ______iv. Notes and papers on Herbert Spencer
- ______v. Notebooks
- ______vi. Miscellaneous papers
- ___B. Bound manuscripts
- ______i. Compositions
- ______ii. Diaries, etc.
- ______iii. Newspaper clippings, reprints of articles and drawings by William James, diplomas, degrees, etc.
- ___C. Other papers
- ______i. Printed matter concerning William James
- ______ii. Miscellaneous material concerning William James
- ______iii. Other compositions
- ______iv. James family photographs
- ______v. Miscellaneous papers
- III. bMS Am 1092.10: Papers concerning William James
- ___A. Letters to Ralph Barton Perry from students of William James
- ___B. Letters to Henry James 3rd
- ___C. Letters from Henry James 3rd
- ___D. Letters to Ralph Barton Perry
- ___E. Letters from Ralph Barton Perry
- ___F. Letters to Alice Howe (Gibbens) James
- ___G. Other letters
- ___H. Miscellaneous
- IV. bMS Am 1092.11: Letters from Alice Howe (Gibbens) James
- V. bMS Am 1092.11: Other letters
- VI. bMS Am 1092.12: Mary Temple letters to John Chipman Gray
Immediate Source of Acquisition
With the exception of the notebooks and bound compositions, which have been grouped separately and arranged in chronological order, the compositions of William James have been separated according to subject matter (papers on psychology, philosophy, religion, etc.) and arranged in alphabetical order by title. Notations (e.g. N5 or B3) to the far right of the individual entries refer to call numbers given the compositions prior to the completion of this catalogue.
- James, William, 1842-1910. William James papers: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA