- Majority of material found in 1960-1980
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Due to the confidential nature of the sections labeled "Clinical letters and Compositions of a Clinical Nature," these sections have been restricted and may only be consulted with the written permission of Professor Kai Erikson, Department of Sociology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520.
Audio tape recordings, item (1744): Restricted: fragile; use surrogate. For access to original consult curatorial staff. [Readers must use listening copies of these original tapes].
25.7 linear feet (79 boxes)
Of particular note in the composition sections are the manuscripts for the various lecture series that Erikson delivered throughout the years, such as: lectures in India (both in the 1960's and 1970's), the Gauss seminars at Princeton University (1969), Loyola University (Chicago, 1970), Godkin lectures at Harvard University (1972), the Jefferson lectures for the National Endowment for the Humanities (1973), and the Einstein lectures for the symposium in Jerusalem (1979). Materials relating to "Play" abound throughout. There are, however, no manuscripts for his major works, Childhood and Society, Young Man Luther or Gandhi's Truth and there are scant materials relating to his teaching at Harvard University during the 1960's. The compositions of a clinical nature contain observation notes, photos, slides and drawings of patients and subjects from various time periods including: work at Yale University in the 1930's; University of California--Berkeley study from the 1940's; Austen Riggs work from the 1950's-1970's; research carried out in India and Pakistan, the Charleston Playhouse, the Manhattan Country Day School and the Crow Indians, from the 1960's and 1970's.
Biographical / Historical
- I. Letters to Erik H. Erikson
- II. Letters from Erik H. Erikson
- III. Other letters
- IV. Routine letters to and from Erik H. Erikson
- V. Clinical letters to and from Erik H. Erikson
- VI. Compositions by Erik H. Erikson
- ___a. Compositions, 1929-1984
- ___ b. Undated compositions and notes
- ___c. Compositions of a clinical nature, 1925-1971
- ___d. Audio tape recording compositions
- VII. Compositions by others
- VIII. Other material
- ___a. Printed material by Erik H. Erikson
- ___b. Printed material by others
- ___c. Awards and citations of Erik H. Erikson
Immediate Source of Acquisition
2004M-132. pfMS Am 2031 (1923): Gift of Lawrence Jacob Friedman; received: 2005 May 11.
- Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994. Erik H. and Joan M. Erikson papers, 1925-1985: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA