Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Part of this collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but offsite at the Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Please consult Public Services staff in the Library.
22 linear feet (68 boxes and 1 portfolio box)
Biographical / Historical
In 1980 Manning was dismissed by the new owner of the Atlantic Monthly Company. The sale of the company gave rise to a long-running lawsuit finally settled in court in 1987. By that time Manning had joined, and left, the Boston Publishing Company, which produced the series of books The Vietnam Experience.
Manning was active in a number of cultural and political organizations at various times, including such diverse ones as the Boston Ballet, Experiment in International Living, Massachusetts Democratic Advisory Council, the Public Broadcasting Service, and the Salk Institute; as well as several clubs in Boston and New York. He has been a prolific speaker and occasionally a broadcaster.
Robert Manning's autobiography is
The swamp root chronicle(1992).
- I. Correspondence
- ___A. Correspondence by Manning by subject: organizations with which he was associated
- ___B. By subject: trips, engagements, publications and other incidents
- ___C. Other correspondence
- II. Compositions by Robert Manning
- ___A. Speeches
- ___B. Broadcasts, interviews, and discussions
- ___C. Dispatches, articles, and books
- ___D. Other compositions by Manning
- III. Compositions by others
- ___A. Copies and proofs of articles written for the Atlantic
- ___B. Other compositions edited or published by Manning
- IV. Notes and other material
- V. Biographical material
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Manning, Robert, 1919-. Robert Manning papers: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA