Hans Zinsser papers
The Hans Zinsser papers, 1887-1954 (inclusive), 1898-1942 (bulk), contain personal papers, research writing and travel material, and some teaching notes resulting from Zinsser's research and teaching activities at Harvard Medical School. The collection also includes research notes and manuscripts of writings and reprints on medical topics. Zinsser's personal papers in this collection include photographs, awards, datebooks, manuscripts of poems and other literary work, correspondence with publishers and friends, family correspondence and financial material, diary and reports relating to Zinsser’s World War I service.
- 1887-1954 (inclusive),
- Majority of material found within 1898-1942
- Zinsser, Hans, 1878-1940. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Access requires advance notice. Consult Public Services for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
The Harvard Medical Library does not hold copyright on all materials in the collection. Researchers are responsible for identifying and contacting any third-party copyright holders for permission to reproduce or publish. For more information on the Center's use, publication, and reproduction policies, view our Reproductions and Use Policy.
2 cubic feet (Unprocessed accruals)
Series and Subseries in the Collection.
- I. Personal and Biographical Records, 1887-1949, undated
- ___A. Correspondence, Personal Records, and Photographs, 1899-1949, undated
- ______1. Appointments, Certificates, Honors, 1901-1940
- ______2. Personal Correspondence, 1899-1949, undated
- _________a. General Correspondence, 1899-1940, undated
- _________b. Family Correspondence, 1916, undated
- _________c. Finances and Family Correspondence, 1930-1949, undated
- ______3. Obituaries and eulogies, undated
- ______4. Photographs, undated
- ___B. World War I and Overseas Trips Records, 1915, undated
- ___C. Personal Papers, undated
- II. Professional Correspondence, 1905-1942, undated
- ___A. Correspondence from Individual Correspondents, 1922-1939
- ___B. Chronological Correspondence, 1905-1941, undated
- ___C. Typhus Vaccine Correspondence, 1922-1942, undated
- ______1. Professional Correspondence, 1929-1941
- ______2. Chronological Correspondence, 1922-1942, undated
- III. Research and Teaching Records, 1927-1931, undated
- IV. Outreach Activities Records, 1887-1954, undated
- ___A. Publication Records and Lecture Notes, 1892, 1906-1940, undated
- ______1. Chronological Publication Records, 1906-1940, undated
- ______2. Undated Manuscripts and Writings, 1892, undated
- ___B. Book Publication Records, 1914, 1935, 1940, 1942
- ___C. Personal Ephemera, 1903, 1906, 1937, undated
- ___D. Textbooks, undated
- ___E. Popular Writings, undated
- ___F. Galley Proofs, undated
- ___G. Zinsser Library, 1887-1954, undated
- ___H. Autobiography of R.S. Publication Records, undated
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Hans Zinsser papers were donated to the Harvard Medical Library in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine by the estate of Mrs. Ruby H. Zinsser in 1976.
Accession 2007-065 was donated to the Harvard Medical Library in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine by Ellen Zinsser Green on June 13, 2007.
Accession 2009-001 was donated to the Harvard Medical Library in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine by Herbert Morgan on July 23, 2008.
- Zinsser, Hans, 1878-1940. Papers, 1887-1954 (inclusive), 1898-1942 (bulk): A Finding Aid
- Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. Center for the History of Medicine.
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine) Repository
The Center for the History of Medicine in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine is one of the world's leading resources for the study of the history of health and medicine. Our mission is to enable the history of medicine and public health to inform healthcare, the health sciences, and the societies in which they are embedded.
10 Shattuck Street
Boston MA 02115