Harvard Medical School departments photographs
The photographs and prints described in this finding aid portray departmental faculty and research staff; lectures, labs, and clinical training for students; and research laboratories at Harvard Medical School.
Conditions Governing Access
Original images are available for research use at the Center for the History of Medicine. Retrieval requires advance notice. There may be restrictions on access to some materials. Consult Public Services for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
The Harvard Medical Library and the Boston Medical Library do not hold copyright on all materials in the collection. Researchers are responsible for identifying and contacting any third-party copyright holders for permission to reproduce or publish. For more information on the Center's use, publication, and reproduction policies, view our Reproductions and Use Policy.
All images are black and white photographs or photomechanical prints. Included in the series are group portraits of departmental faculty and research staff; lectures, labs, and clinical training for students; and research laboratories at Harvard Medical School. Only departments for which this collection holds images are represented.
Images are organized into four subseries; within each subseries similar photographs are organized into image groups. Subseries are arranged alphabetically by name of department; image groups and individual images are arranged chronologically within each subseries.
N.B.: Image display may be affected by your choice of browser.
- Series: Harvard Medical School Departments Photographs, ca. 1913-1992.
- ___Subseries A: Department of Anatomy, 1929-1992.
- ______ Image Group 1. Laboratories; 1929, 1967.
- ______ Image Group 2. Group portraits, 1930s-1940s.
- ______ Image Group 3. Group portraits, 1950s.
- ______ Image Group 4. Group portraits, 1960s.
- ______ Image Group 5. Group portraits, 1970s.
- ______ Image Group 6. Group portraits, 1980s.
- ______ Image Group 7. Group portraits, 1990s.
- ___Subseries B: Department of Biological Chemistry, 1934-1957.
- ______ Image Group 1. Group portraits, 1930s.
- ______ Image Group 2. Group portraits, 1940s.
- ______ Image Group 3. Group portraits, 1950s.
- ___ Subseries C: Department of Pathology, ca. 1913-1920.
- ___Subseries D: Department of Physiology, ca. 1919-1950s.
- ______ Image Group 1. Group portraits, ca. 1919-1950s.
- ______ Image Group 2. First year class, 1944.
- ______ Image Group 3. Second year class, 1944.
- ______ Image Group 4. Fourth year class, 1944.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Harvard Medical School Departments Photographs, ca. 1913-1992, is a series from an artificial collection assembled in the 1960s from the holdings of the Harvard Medical Library and the Boston Medical Library. The photographs are now housed at the Center for the History of Medicine in Countway Library. Images were acquired individually or removed from manuscript or archival collections and filed by subject. Because of this practice, the provenance of many of the images has been lost.
Library Digital Initiative Project Description
This finding aid was produced as part of a Library Digital Initiative (LDI) grant project. To provide increased access to visual collections, the LDI project staff is describing approximately 4500 historical images of Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard School of Public Health, and the Boston Medical Library in a series of OASIS finding aids. Of the images described in these finding aids, 1600 will be digitized, stored in the Harvard Digital Repository (DRS), and viewable online. To provide historical context, the finding aids also include links to digitized pages of Harvard annual reports in the Harvard-Radcliffe Online Historical Reference Shelf.
Processed by Judy Greene, August 17, 2004. Selected information from the image collections management database at the Center for the History of Medicine in Countway Library was exported for inclusion in this finding aid. Formal titles for photographs are used when supplied, otherwise, descriptive titles were created and enclosed in brackets. When possible, images are described as groups rather than individually and representative images selected for viewing on-line. 'Identical' images may vary in condition and the presence or absence of inscriptions or mounts. Location number includes size. Images are small (S = less than 8 x 10 inches), medium (M = greater than 8 x 10 inches and less than 11 x 14 inches), or large (L = greater than 11 x 14 inches and less than 16 x 20 inches). A few images have also been cataloged more fully in VIA, Harvard's on-line image database.
- Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine)
- Education, Medical (MeSH)
- Harvard Medical School -- Employees.
- Harvard Medical School -- Faculty.
- Harvard Medical School -- Photograph collections.
- Harvard Medical School -- Students.
- Harvard Medical School -- Study and teaching.
- Medical Education.
- Medicine (MeSH)
- Medicine, Study and teaching.
- Photomechanical prints.
- Physicians (MeSH)
- Physicians -- Portraits.
- Portraits, Group.
- Harvard Medical School Departments Photographs, ca. 1913-1992: Finding Aid.
- Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. Center for the History of Medicine.
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine) Repository
The Center for the History of Medicine in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine is one of the world's leading resources for the study of the history of health and medicine. Our mission is to enable the history of medicine and public health to inform healthcare, the health sciences, and the societies in which they are embedded.
10 Shattuck Street
Boston MA 02115