Skip to main content
COLLECTION Identifier: bMS 468

Beacon Universalist Parish (Brookline, Mass.). Records, 1863-1876

Records of the Beacon Universalist Parish and its predecessors: Shawmut Universalist Sunday School Association record book, 1863-1871; and Shawmut Universalist Church record of marriages, 1868-1876.

Dates

  • 1863-1876

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Extent

1 boxes

This collection consists of records of the Beacon Universalist Parish and its predecessors: Shawmut Universalist Sunday School Association record book, 1863-1871; and Shawmut Universalist Church record of marriages, 1868-1876.

Biographical / Historical

The society held its first public meeting in Boylston Hall, Boston, on January 3, 1836, and formal organization took place a week later. The Sunday School was organized in March 1837; the church was organized July 27, 1837, and reorganized August 20, 1837. The society was incorporated in March 1838 as the Fifth Universalist Society in Boston. A church building was constructed on Warren Street and was dedicated January 30, 1839.

In February 1863, the society changed its name to the Shawmut Universalist Society and was joined in March 1863 to the South Universalist Church. After meeting for several months in the Concord Street chapel of the South Church, they bought a church on Shawmut Avenue, which was rededicated in April 1864. During the ministry of George Landor Perin, the church was known as the "Every-Day Church" because of its varied program of social work and neighborhood activities.

In 1891, some of its members who lived in Brookline began to hold services there. In 1904 the society decided to move to Brookline and join with that group. They built a church on Harvard Avenue in Brookline and the society changed its name in 1905 to the Beacon Universalist Parish. The church building was sold in 1906, and the members held occasional services in a rented chapel. On November 15, 1939, J. Q. Parkhurst, minister of the Church of our Savior in Waltham was installed also as minister of the Beacon Parish, and regular services were held for two years. In 1941, the parish voted to hold union services with the Church of our Savior in Waltham. A full merger with the Waltham church was completed in 1943.

  • 1836-1846 Otis A. Skinner
  • 1847-1848 Joseph S. Dennis
  • 1849-1857 Otis A. Skinner
  • 1858-1867 Thomas B. Thayer
  • 1867-1876 Lewis L. Briggs
  • 1876-1880 Joseph K. Mason
  • 1880-1882 Henry Blanchard
  • 1883-1890 George L. Perin
  • 1891-1893 Charles Conklin
  • 1894-1905 George L. Perin
  • 1939-1941 John Q. Parkhurst
Ministers
1836-1846
Otis A. Skinner
1847-1848
Joseph S. Dennis
1849-1857
Otis A. Skinner
1858-1867
Thomas B. Thayer
1867-1876
Lewis L. Briggs
1876-1880
Joseph K. Mason
1880-1882
Henry Blanchard
1883-1890
George L. Perin
1891-1893
Charles Conklin
1894-1905
George L. Perin
1939-1941
John Q. Parkhurst

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of the First Parish Church, Waltham, Massachusetts, 1982.

Related Materials

For related collection, please see bMS 357.
Title
Beacon Universalist Parish (Brookline, Mass.). Records (bMS 468): A Finding Aid
Author
Andover-Harvard Theological Library
EAD ID
div00468

Repository Details

Part of the Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School Repository

Special Collections at Andover-Harvard Theological Library preserves and makes accessible primary source materials documenting the history of religion and theology, with particular historical emphasis on American liberal religious traditions. Though the historical strengths of the collections have been in the field of Christianity, other religious traditions are increasingly reflected, in step with Harvard Divinity School's evolving focus on global religious studies.

Contact:
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138-1911 USA
(617) 384-7904
617-496-4111 (Fax)