Skip to main content
COLLECTION Identifier: bMS 87

Unitarian Church, Newton Centre, Mass. Records, 1881-1933.

Collection consists of a short history of the church, a record book of the Women’s Auxiliary, (1887-1889), a record book of the Stebbins branch of the National Alliance (1891-1916), and a scrapbook containing clippings on Dr. Albert C. Dieffenbach (1876-1963); biographical information and photographs of Rev. Rufus Phineas Stebbins (1810-1885), and newspaper clippings, church notices, photographs, etc.

Dates

  • 1881-1933

Access

There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Extent

1 boxes

The collection consists of a short history of the church, a record book of the Women’s Auxiliary, (1887-1889), a record book of the Stebbins branch of the National Alliance (1891-1916), and a scrapbook. The scrapbook contains church notices, newspaper clippings on Dr. Albert C. Dieffenbach (1876-1963), biographical information on Rev. Rufus Phineas Stebbins (1810-1885), and photographs. The photographs portray the interior and exterior of the church, a Sunday School class, and some of the early members of the church, including Rev. Stebbins.

Biographical / Historical

In 1877, ten families from Newton Centre and Newton Highlands traveled to the Channing Church in Newton, and then decided they could form a church in Newton Centre. In 1878 the question of organizing as a religious Society was discussed and it was voted to take the necessary steps towards forming a Society. Fifty-eight people signed a covenant and the Church was incorporated in 1892. The first minister was Rev. Rufus Stebbins, and he served for eight years. The church went through several renovations, and in 1949 it was sold to the Lutheran Church of the Newtons, and the congregation scattered, some going to the West Newton Unitarian Church and some to the First Church in Chestnut Hill.

Processing Information

Processed by Fran O'Donnell, 2015.
Link to catalog
Title
Unitarian Church, Newton Centre, Mass. Records, 1881-1933 (bMS 00087): A Finding Aid.
Author
Andover-Harvard Theological Library
EAD ID
div00087

Repository Details

Part of the Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School Repository

Special Collections at Andover-Harvard Theological Library preserves and makes accessible primary source materials documenting the history of religion and theology, with particular historical emphasis on American liberal religious traditions. Though the historical strengths of the collections have been in the field of Christianity, other religious traditions are increasingly reflected, in step with Harvard Divinity School's evolving focus on global religious studies.

Contact:
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138-1911 USA
(617) 384-7904
617-496-4111 (Fax)