Liberal Religious Youth records
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on access to this collection.
Extent1.40 linear feet (4 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
Between 1949 and 1951, the American Unitarian Youth and the Universalist Youth Fellowship published joint material on an experimental basis: a Youth Sunday guide, a songbook, The Youth Leader, The Liberal's Challenge, as well as material explaining the issues around merger. At their annual meetings in the summer of 1949, the two groups each passed a resolution to hold their 1951 conference and annual meeting together. A Joint Relations Committee was formed and charged with planning the Joint Convention of 1951, which was held at Camp Idlewild on an island in Lake Winnepesaukee, New Hampshire. The two groups endorsed a two-year plan for merger, to culminate in 1953, with the Joint Relations Committee and the two Executive Boards handling the transition. In 1952 the A.U.Y.-U.Y.F. Joint Convention tentatively approved a constitution for the merged organization. In 1953, the Joint Convention was held at Hanover College, Hanover, Indiana.
The final formal merger votes were held in separate business sessions. The name for the newly merged organization was Liberal Religious Youth, which held its first continental convention in 1954 at Cheshire Academy, Cheshire, Connecticut.
Liberal Religious Youth was disbanded in 1982 and replaced by the group Young Religious Unitarian Universalists. (From Follow the Gleam: A History of the Liberal Religious Youth Movements, by Wayne B. Arnason. Boston: Skinner House, 1980)
This finding aid was migrated as part of the legacy finding aid project, 2023-2024. Materials were not reviewed as part of this project to verify accuracy of the existing description. In order to make finding aids compliant with DACS (Describing Archives: A Content Standard), some titles have been updated, and in cases where no date information appeared in the legacy finding aid, the material was designated undated.
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard Divinity School Library, Harvard University Repository
Special Collections at Harvard Divinity School Library preserves and makes accessible primary source materials documenting the history of religion and theology, with particular historical emphasis on American liberal religious traditions. Though the historical strengths of the collections have been in the field of Christianity, other religious traditions are increasingly reflected, in step with Harvard Divinity School's evolving focus on global religious studies. Known as Andover-Harvard Theological Library since 1911, it was renamed the Harvard Divinity School Library in 2021.
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138-1911 USA