First Parish (Cambridge, Mass.). Records, 1804-2010.
Records of the First Parish in Cambridge including committee and club records, financial records, membership lists, correspondence, orders of service, and photographs. The records span 1804-2008.
There are no restrictions on access to this collection.
This collection contains the records and papers of First Parish, Cambridge. The bulk of the material consists of various committee, task force, and club records that include minutes, notes, and correspondence; as well as financial records such as treasurer, Board of Investment, and annual fund records.The collection also includes minister records that include correspondence and sermons; orders of service; membership and pew records; photographs; scrapbooks; and audiovisual material.This collection does not contain any birth, marriage, or death records.
NOTE: There are oversized items in box 14 and they are arranged according to their appropriate series in the container list below. Box 13 (Series X) and box 16 (Series IV) are also out of sequence, and they are arranged according to their appropriate series.
Biographical / Historical
The first Meeting House was built in 1632 and Thomas Hooker became the first minister in 1633. A new church, the First Church in Cambridge, was gathered on February 1, 1636, under the Rev. Thomas Shepard, a significant leader of the great Puritan migration to New England in the 1630s. For a century, the doctrine preached by Shepard and his successors was Calvinistic. In the eighteenth century, a tendency toward a more liberal theology developed. The division between Calvinists and Arminians, which appeared in many churches of the Standing Order in the eighteenth century, reached a time of crisis and controversy in the period from 1805 to 1830. The minister of the Cambridge church at that time was the Rev. Abiel Holmes, 1792-1829, father of Oliver Wendell Holmes. In 1826 he decided to break off relations with the liberals, and specifically to stop pulpit exchanges with the liberal or Unitarian ministers. The Parish voted to dismiss him as its public teacher of religion and morality and by 1829 most of the Parish had become Unitarian. Dr. Holmes and the more conservative members of his flock departed and founded the Shepard Congregational Society. In 1899, it was agreed that the church associated with that society should be called the First Church in Cambridge (Congregational), now part of the United Church of Christ, and this church, the First Church in Cambridge (Unitarian). The Rev. William Newell was the first avowedly Unitarian minister, from 1830 to 1868.
The fifth and current Meeting House was built in 1833, and Harvard College commencements were held in it until 1873. Here Presidents Everett, Sparks, Walker, Felton, Hill, and Eliot were inaugurated, and in 1837, Ralph Waldo Emerson gave his Phi Beta Kappa oration "The American Scholar." The Parish House was built in 1902, and the interior of the Meeting House remodeled in 1914. The Crothers Chapel (named after the Rev. Samuel Crothers, pastor from 1894 to 1927) was dedicated in 1941.
Organized into the following series:
- Series I. Ministers of First Parish, Cambridge - includes biographical information, sermons, and other writings, arranged chronologically by service
- Series II. Orders of service - arranged chronologically
- Series III. Membership records, annual reports, and annual meetings - arranged chronologically
- Series IV. Committees, task forces, clubs, and other groups - includes meeting minutes, notes, and memoranda, arranged alphabetically by group
- Series V. Sunday School and religious education - includes notes, record books, meeting minutes, and memoranda
- Series VI. Financial records - includes ledgers, treasurer's records, Board of Investment records, and annual fund records
- Series VII. General church records - includes church anniversaries, histories, mailings, and records of C. Conrad Wright, Clerk
- Series VIII. Affiliated organizations and projects - includes Stebbins Gallery, Cambridge Forum, Nameless Coffeehouse, and Notable American Unitarians project
- Series IX. Photographs
- Series X. Clippings and scrapbooks
- Series XI. Miscellaneous and unidentified
- Series XII. Audiovisual material - includes audio cassettes of sermons and addresses and one audio reel with three sermons
Gift of First Parish in Cambridge.
Processed by Jessica Suarez, 2008.
- First Parish (Cambridge, Mass.). Records, 1804-2010: A Finding Aid.
- Andover-Harvard Theological Library
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard Divinity School Library, Harvard University Repository
Special Collections at Harvard Divinity School Library preserves and makes accessible primary source materials documenting the history of religion and theology, with particular historical emphasis on American liberal religious traditions. Though the historical strengths of the collections have been in the field of Christianity, other religious traditions are increasingly reflected, in step with Harvard Divinity School's evolving focus on global religious studies. Known as Andover-Harvard Theological Library since 1911, it was renamed the Harvard Divinity School Library in 2021.
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138-1911 USA