Berenson Library Byzantine art and architecture photograph collection
Includes photographs of Byzantine art and architecture that are part of the Berenson Library core photo collection.
- 1880 - 1959
- Majority of material found within 1880 - 1930
- Biblioteca Berenson, I Tatti - The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English, French, and Greek.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright for materials resides with the creators of the items in question, unless otherwise designated.
Extent3,956 photographic prints
20 linear feet (20 photograph boxes, 1 oversize folder)
The collection consists of images of Early Christian and Byzantine monuments in various countries in the eastern Mediterranean. Most of the photographs show churches, paintings, and mosaics in Cyprus, Greece, Italy, and Turkey as they were before 1930. Most of them were acquired by Berenson from art historians Arthur Kingsley Porter (1883-1933) and Gabriel Millet (1867-1953), while other photos of icons, ivories, jewelry and textiles were sent by American and European art collectors. A significant number of photographs were taken by Josephine Powell and the Istanbul based photograph studio of Sebah and Joaillier. Photos by Theron J. Damon, Giorgos Lykides, Carlo Naya, Osvaldo Böhm, Fratelli Alinari, Giacomo Brogi, and the Anderson firm are also included. The collection contains a large number of photographs of artworks preserved at the Mount Athos monasteries, images of the Daphni and the Hosios Loukas monasteries in Greece, mosaics in Istanbul, Thessaloniki and Venice, views of the late Byzantine settlement of Mistra, icons and mural decoration in Cyprus, and photographs of the collection of Byzantine objects at Dumbarton Oaks in Washington D.C. A few newspaper clippings are to be found at the end of each series.
Collection organized in four series: 1. Architecture and Sculpture, 2. Painting, 3. Mosaics, 4. Applied Arts. Series 2 and 4 are organized in subseries. Files within series and subseries are arranged alphabetically by the name of the city.
- Albumen prints
- Architecture, Byzantine -- Photographs
- Architecture, Byzantine--Greece
- Architecture, Byzantine--Turkey--Istanbul
- Art, Byzantine
- Athos (Greece)--Antiquities
- Ayasofya Müzesi
- Basilica di San Marco (Venice ,Italy)
- Church architecture, Greece, Thessalonikē
- Church decoration and ornament--Greece
- Church decoration and ornament--Italy
- Church decoration and ornament--Turkey
- Clippings (information artifacts).
- Daphni (Monastery)
- Gelatin silver prints
- Hosios Loukas (Monastery : Voiōtia, Greece)
- Icons, Byzantine
- Ivories, Byzantine
- Mistra (Greece)--Antiquities, Byzantine
- Mosaics, Byzantine
- Mosaics, Byzantine--Turkey--Istanbul
- Mural painting and decoration, Byzantine
- Painting, Byzantine.
- Photograph collections--Italy--Florence
- Textile fabrics, Byzantine
- Berenson Library Byzantine art and architecture photograph collection, 1880-1959: A Finding Aid
- Biblioteca Berenson
- September 3, 2018
- Description rules
- Language of description
- EAD ID