Whitin Machine Works (Whitinsville, Mass.)
The Whitin Machine Works was founded by Paul Whitin and his sons in 1831 on the banks of the Mumford River in South Northbridge, Massachusetts. The village of South Northbridge became known as Whitinsville in 1835, in honor of its founder.
The Whitin Machine Works became one of the largest textile machinery companies in the world. Known as The "Shop" to locals, would operate well into the 20th century, long after many of the New England mills had moved South. By 1948, The company was operating at peak capacity, employing 5,615 men and women. The Shop was the center of life in the village of Whitinsville, Massachusetts for over 135 years, until 1976.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Additional records of the Northbridge, Massachusetts textile manufacturing and textile machinery firm Whitin Machine Works includes correspondence, financial records and labor and payroll records, 1830-1977.
Records of the Northbridge, Massachusetts textile manufacturing and textile machinery firm Whitin Machine Works includes correspondence, financial records and labor and payroll records, 1843-1960.
The collection consists mainly of patents for Whitin machines and machine parts from 1873-1967. The majority are U.S. patents, but there are also several Canadian patents, as well as French, British, and Russian. The collection also contains a photographs of the Whitin D2 carding machine, drawings, registered trademarks and applications for the registration of trademarks.