COLLECTIONS: 1 - 10 of 513
Overview: The Harvard Athletic Association was formed in 1874, and in 1951 became the Harvard University Department of Athletics. This collection contains some of the earliest administrative records of the Association.
Overview: This collection contains handwritten lists of Harvard freshmen entering the College in the years 1743-1753, 1758, and 1760-1764 which correspond to the Harvard Classes of 1747-1757, 1762, and 1764-1768. The admission lists provide the first documentary evidence of a student's life at Harvard and were presumably created in the early days of the fall semester.
Overview: From the Latin meaning "be admitted," an admittatur served as a student's certificate of admission to Harvard College beginning in the 1650s. The collection contains admittaturs to Harvard College signed by the President and several Tutors and Fellows. The admittaturs document a component of the College's 17th and 18th century admissions procedures, and the manuscript and printed copies of the College laws complement the Laws and Statutes collection and provide insight into the Harvard...
Overview: This collection consists of seven black and white platinum prints taken by Edward Russell Cogswell, Jr., on September 18, 1897, from the top of the chimney of the old power house at the intersection of Boylston Street (now John F. Kennedy Street) and Memorial Drive in Cambridge, Mass. The photographs are aerial views of Harvard Square, Cambridge, Allston and the Charles River.
Overview: Alton Lombard Miller (1890-1984), manufacturing executive, received his Harvard AB in 1911. The collection chiefly documents Miller's student life and academic career at Harvard from 1907 to 1918. It also includes a small amount of personal items such as grammar and secondary school report cards and photographs of Miller with his family. Additional records in the collection include photographs and other Harvard memorabilia accumulated by Miller for the twenty-fifth (1936) and fiftieth (1961)...
Overview: The collection contains the questions used to survey American soldiers during World War II by the Research Branch of the War Department’s Information and Education Division. Under the direction of Samuel A. Stouffer, later director of the Laboratory of Social Relations and professor of sociology (1946-1960) at Harvard University, the survey results provided the United States Army with information to formulate policies and procedures. The survey results were published in four volumes as ...
Overview: The Harvard University Library annual report is a set of publications issued annually by Harvard University since 1878. The reports include updates on library facilities, the acquisition of new materials, circulation statistics, and library expenditures. Many reports are reprinted from the reports of the President of Harvard University, but include donor and personnel information not included in the President's report.
Overview: Cecil Pinsent (1884-1963) and partner Geoffrey Scott (1884-1929) became the architects of choice for Florence, Italy’s Anglo-American expatriate community at the beginning of the 20th century. Designs consist of measured plans of the main architectural features of the Villa I Tatti garden. Drawings are pencil on tracing paper. These are particularly rare, because Pinsent is known to have burned most of his records.
Overview: The Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts opened in 1963. It was designed by the French architect Le Corbusier. These records consist of architectural designs and plans and the original wooden cases in which the drawings were held.
Overview: The Harry Elkins Widener Memorial Library, located in Harvard Yard, was dedicated on Commencement Day in 1915. Construction began in 1912 and was completed in 1914. These records are architectural drawings and plans, including plans for the building itself as well as interior fixtures, from pre-construction through construction and alterations.