COLLECTIONS: 1 - 25 of 37
Harvard University's Appleton Chapel was constructed in 1855-1856. It was designed by architect Paul Schulze as a stand-alone building to replace the chapel in University Hall. Appleton Chapel as a structure was replaced in turn by Memorial Church. Memorial Church was dedicated in 1932. The Appleton Chapel continues as a named chapel within the new building. This collection holds a scattering of records relating to the design, dedication, and use of the chapel.
Gore Hall housed the Harvard College Library. It was designed by Richard Bond, built in 1838, and demolished in 1913 to make way for the Harry Elkins Widener Library. This collection holds a scattering of architectural drawings for the design and re-design of Gore Hall.
The Harvard Corporation is one of the goverrning bodies of Harvard University. These papers are chiefly comprised of copies of Corporation votes and correspondence of University administrators, circa 1826 to 1870.
The Harvard Corporation (also known as the President and Fellows of Harvard College) was established in 1650 as one of the Governing Boards of Harvard University. This collection consists of draft notes of Harvard Corporation proceedings.
This collection contains 29 diplomas conferred by Harvard College from 1676 to 1799, acknowledging the successful completion of a course of study. Included among the diplomas in this collection are general diplomas; Bachelor of Arts diplomas; Master of Arts diplomas; and honorary degrees of Doctor of Laws, Doctor of Divinity, and Master of Arts.
At a special meeting of the Corporation on February 6, 1850, the President and Fellows voted to have all manuscript papers related to the history of the College and College affairs identified, arranged, and bound. Loose records were gathered into two sets of volumes. Each set was named "Harvard College Papers," and the sets became "1st series" and "2nd series". This second series holds material similar to that of the first series, dated from 1826 to 1863.
The Harvard Corporation's role in examining and documenting candidates for admission evolved over time. These books were part of the Corporation's routine records for a practice that ceased in 1884. Contains lists of admitted students with their signatures.
Students who had withdrawn from the College prior to completing their coursework could be nominated by their classmates to receive degrees. Consists primarily of petitions to the President and Fellows of Harvard College requesting the granting of bachelor degrees out of course. The petitions illustrate the loyalty and long-standing friendships among Harvard College classmates.
The records document some of the activities related to the Harvard Bicentenary Celebration held on September 8, 1836. Materials include extracts listing the votes of the Corporation about the 1836 celebration, a plan for the evening illumination of Holworthy Hall, a volume of autographs signed by Harvard graduates and guests, blank tickets for the “Dinner of the Alumni” held during the celebration and letters from Harvard alumni confirming their attendance at the dinner.