COLLECTIONS: 1 - 25 of 738
Francis Ellingwood Abbot (1836-1903), was a Unitarian minister and a radical religious philosopher. Abbot founded the Free Religious Association (1867), was editor of the weekly publication The Index (1870-1880), and organizer and President of the National Liberal League. He earned an A.B. at Harvard University in 1855 and a Ph.D and A.M. in 1881. Abbot taught philosophy briefly at Harvard University in 1887.
Adelphoi Theologia was founded on November 10, 1785 by six members of the Harvard College Class of 1786. As of November 4, 1835, the group changed its name to The Society for Religious Improvement. The records document the history and activities of this religious society.
The Aesculapian Club was founded as a student and alumni medical club in 1902 to promote an active and permanent interest in the affairs of the Harvard Medical School. The records document the history and activities of this society.
Lars Valerian Ahlfors (1907-1996), Professor of Mathematics at Harvard University (1935-1938, 1946-1977) was an internationally known theoretician and teacher. These papers document his scientific research in the field of mathematics.
The Papers of Gordon W. Allport chiefly consists of Allport's personal correspondence dating from 1930 to 1967. The collection also contains his teaching materials including lectures and addresses, publications, correspondence and outlines; research notes and data relating to psychology and religion; and bibliographic and autobiographical material.
The American Student Defense League was established as a national organization by Harvard students to support Great Britain against Nazi Germany and its allies during World War II. The records are organized in three series: The Constitution of the American Student Defense League, Harvard Chapter, General Information and Ephemera, and Business Records.
The Harvard Chapter of the American Veterans Committee was established in 1946. It ran seminars for veterans, organized social events, and campaigned against the University's decision to cut all subsidized housing for married students. The records document the history, activities, and interests of this group.
Oakes Ames (1874-1950) graduated from Harvard in 1898, taught botany at Harvard and was director of the Botanical Museum. His papers document his personal and family life, and the field of botany, including teaching, research, and administration of the Botanical Museum.
Larz Nicholas Anderson (1866-1937), diplomat and businessman, was born on August 15, 1866, in Paris to Nicholas Longworth and Elizabeth Coles Kilgour Anderson; he received his Harvard AB in 1888. The collection consists of daily and longer themes written by Anderson for the course English 12 in 1886-1887, as well as themes written by Anderson as part of the prescribed course of study in English for the sophomore year in 1885.
Robert H. Anderson (1918-2010) was a professor in the Harvard University Graduate School of Education. The personal contents of the collection reflect Anderson's research and consulting work and his mentoring relationships with his advisees. The bulk of the material consists of records of the Harvard University Graduate School of Education.
This collection contains anthropometrical measurements probably compiled by William Tufts Brigham and William Hale Herrick, contemporaries of Dudley Allen Sargent. William Tufts Brigham (1841-1926), ethnologist, botanist, and geologist, was the first Bernice P. Bishop Museum director in Honolulu, Hawaii. William Hale Herrick (1860-1887) was the Director of the Gymnasium at Lehigh University from 1883 to 1886.
William Sumner Appleton, Jr. became the first full-time, professional preservationist in the United States when he founded The Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities in 1910. This collection consists of eight assignments submitted in the Harvard course Architecture 7a, "Theory of Pure Design, Harmony, Rhythm, and Balance." The course had a profound impact on Appleton's career as a preservationist.
Ancient Sardis was the capital of the kingdom of Lydia, located in western Anatolia in present-day Turkey. The Archaelogical Exploration of Sardis program began in 1958. It is a joint effort of Harvard and Cornell University and has conducted annual excavations in Turkey since 1958. These microfilm copies of excavation records (fieldbooks and object cards) date from 1958 through 1983. The microfilm itself was made in 1984.
The Association for the Arnold Arboretum, Inc. was a nonprofit Massachusetts corporation founded to aid in the protection, preservation, support, and advancement of the Arnold Arboretum. The Association was organized in July 1953 in response to the controversial "Bailey Plan," which would have removed resources from Jamaica Plain to Cambridge. The records document the history, activities, and interests of this group.
Records of the Association of African and Afro-American Students at Harvard and Radcliffe, 1963-1976
The Association of African and Afro-American Students of Harvard and Radcliffe, also known as AFRO, was founded in the spring of 1963. The records document the history, activities, and interests of this group.
The Association of Black Harvard Women, formerly known as the Association of Black Radcliffe Women, was organized in April 1975. The records document the history, activities, and interests of this group.
The Association of Harvard Chemists was organized in 1911 and remains active (2008), to aid in the advancement of chemical education and research at Harvard University and to assist members in their professional development as chemists. The records are organized in three series: Constitution and membership list, General information and ephemera, and Secretary-Treasurer records.
The Harvard Athletic Association was formed in 1874, and in 1951 became the Harvard University Department of Athletics. Team photographs were taken almost as early as teams formed.