COLLECTIONS: 1 - 17 of 17
Bookplates designating book funds and collections from some of Harvard University's libraries. Bookplates are chiefly from libraries that are administrative units of the Harvard College Library.
This collection is comprised of correspondence of the Circulation and Reference Department of the Harvard College Library from 1919 to 1976. Correspondence is arranged in groups by academic year, and within groups, alphabetically by last name of correspondent. Topics presumably reflect the reference inquiries of particular correspondents.
Alfred Claghorn Potter became Director of the Harvard Library in 1928. These records date from his administration of the Harvard libraries.
Consists of manuscript lists of donations to the Harvard College Library from 1782 to 1863. Also includes scattered correspondence with donors offering books and other items to the Harvard College Library, and a compilation of donations to the Harvard College Library from 1770 to 1840 that was printed in Josiah Quincy's The History of Harvard University, published in 1840.
Copies of letters sent from the Harvard College Library.
This collection consists of engraved printing plates and blocks created for the production of bookplates for the Harvard College Library from the the mid-eighteenth through mid-twentieth centuries. Most plates and blocks indicate the names of donors and specified funds for Harvard College Library acquisitions. A limited amount of sample bookplates and related correspondence is also included in the collection.
This collection contains correspondence to the Harvard College librarian asking for book borrowing privileges, primarily from faculty and other individuals with a connection to the college, dated 1775 to circa 1826, and a 20th century dealer catalog entry for a 1764 letter related to donated volumes. The records include the borrower's name, the titles of the books borrowed, the date of loans, and in some cases, the return of books.
These records document book borrowing from the Harvard College Library from 1762 to 1897. Book borrowers include Harvard faculty and students, tutors, overseers, proctors, administrators, employees, and prominent clergy, jurists, lawyers, doctors, and educators with connections to Harvard University. The records offer insight into the reading habits and intellectual life of New England's most educated thinkers.