Skip to main content Skip to search results

COLLECTIONS: 41 - 50 of 166

Refine my results

Charters and legislative acts relating to the governance of Harvard

Collection Identifier: UAI 15.100
Overview: Harvard College was founded by a vote of the Great and General Court of Massachusetts on October 28, 1636; subsequent legislative acts established the Board of Overseers, but it was the Charter of 1650 that established the Harvard Corporation and defined its authority as the College's primary governing board. For most of Harvard's history to the present, the College has operated under the Charter of 1650, but between 1672 and 1707 alternate Charters were recognized when the document became a...

Records of the Harvard University Choir, 1822-2006 and undated

Collection Identifier: HUD 3277.5000
Overview: The Harvard University Choir is Harvard’s oldest choir, and has provided choral music for the Memorial Church and its predecessor church for over 170 years. The records document the history, activities, and interests of the Club.

Records of the Harvard University Christian Association and its predecessor organizations, 1802-1926.

Collection Identifier: HUD 3279
Overview: From 1802 to 1926, The Harvard University Christian Association and its predecessor organizations, the Saturday Evening Religious Society in Harvard College, the Wednesday Evening Society, The Society of Christian Brethren in Harvard University, and The Young Men's Christian Association of Harvard University, worked to establish Christian fellowship and spiritual renewal at Harvard University, a sense of friendship and solidarity with Christian students in other colleges and universities, and...

Records of the College Teas Association and Harvard Neighbors, 1894-1995.

Collection Identifier: HUD 3824
Overview: The College Teas Association was instituted in 1894 by a group of faculty wives in order to promote "social intercourse among the ladies of the University."  In 1939, the association established the Newcomer's Club to provide help to newcomers to Harvard and Cambridge.  In 1972, the entire association was renamed Harvard Neighbors, and in 1988, membership was opened to men.  These records document an effort to establish a sense of community at Harvard, among wives of the University, and within...

Harvard University commencement records, 1902-1970,

Sub-Series Identifier: UAI 15.230
Overview: The first University Marshal was Morris Hicky Morgan, appointed in 1896 as Marshal of the Commencement Exercises. The position evolved into a chief protocol officer for the University. Duties include organizing ceremonies including commencements, convocations, and inaugurations and greeting and organizing the visits of dignitaries and distinguished guests. These records concern the administration of Harvard University commencement ceremonies.

Commencement Theses, Quaestiones, and Orders of Exercises

Collection Identifier: HUC 6642
Overview: The collection consists of Theses, Quaestiones, and Orders of Exercises for Commencement used in Harvard Commencement exercises from the 17th century into the early 19th century as precursors to the modern Commencement program. The Theses (for undergraduates) and Quaestiones (for Master's degree candidates) are broadsides, written in Latin, that list prompts used in the commencement tradition of public student disputation which began at Harvard College in 1642. Broadside Theses were printed...

Construction Management Records, ca. 1953-1986.

Collection Identifier: UAV 298.8000
Overview: Harvard University was one of the first large organizations to establish its own internal construction management group, beginning in the 1960s, which centralized all administrative responsibilities involved in the building process. These responsibilities included awarding bids, overseeing daily activities of the contractors and architects, acting as a liaison to offices, organizations, and individual members of the Harvard community and any communities affected by the construction project, and...

Admittaturs

Collection Identifier: UAIII 15.5.8
Overview: From the Latin meaning "be admitted," an admittatur served as a student's certificate of admission to Harvard College beginning in the 1650s. The collection contains admittaturs to Harvard College signed by the President and several Tutors and Fellows. The admittaturs document a component of the College's 17th and 18th century admissions procedures, and the manuscript and printed copies of the College laws complement the Laws and Statutes collection and provide insight into the Harvard...

Buildings papers on Appleton Chapel

Collection Identifier: UAI 15.60.x
Overview: Harvard University's Appleton Chapel was constructed in 1855-1856. It was designed by architect Paul Schulze as a stand-alone building to replace the chapel in University Hall. Appleton Chapel as a structure was replaced in turn by Memorial Church. Memorial Church was dedicated in 1932. The Appleton Chapel continues as a named chapel within the new building. This collection holds a scattering of records relating to the design, dedication, and use of the chapel.

Buildings papers on Gore Hall, 1840 and 1907

Collection Identifier: UAI 15.48
Overview: Gore Hall housed the Harvard College Library. It was designed by Richard Bond, built in 1838, and demolished in 1913 to make way for the Harry Elkins Widener Library. This collection holds a scattering of architectural drawings for the design and re-design of Gore Hall.