Additional papers of the Julia Ward Howe family, 1758-1984 (inclusive), 1813-1945 (bulk)
- Majority of material found within 1813-1945
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
3.17 linear feet ((2 file boxes, 1 folio box, 1 folio+ box) plus 1 photograph folder, 3 folio folders, 1 oversize folder, 1 supersize folder)
Most of the photographs in this collection are or will be cataloged in VIA, Harvard University's Visual Information Access database. Others, referred to as "uncataloged" photographs, are not of sufficient research interest to warrant cataloging and are simply treated as part of the documents they accompany; they are marked on the back with an asterisk in square brackets [*].
Immediate Source of Acquisition
These addenda to the papers of the Julia Ward Howe family were given to the Schlesinger Library between 1993 and 2008 by Julia Ward Howe's descendants, Margaret Hall McRory and Camilla O. McRory.
Accession numbers: 93-M48, 93-M75, 94-M33, 2008-M142
Processed by: Anne Engelhart
The following items have been removed from the collection:
- Catalogue of the Officers and Members of the Hasty-Pudding Club in Harvard College, 1855
- Catalogus Universitatis Harvardianae, 1845
- Facts for the Laboring Man, 1840
- Some Details Concerning General Moreau and His Last Moments..., 1814
- Washington, The Pride of the Nation, n.d.
- The First Seventeen Chapters of the Ordinances of the Illustrious University and House of Trade of the Most Noble and Most Loyal Town of Bilboa..., 1824
- Life of Major-General Zachary Taylor with an Account of his Brilliant Achievements on the Rio Grande..., 1846
- Report of Samuel B. Cushing, Esq., Civil Engineer Respecting the Harbor of Van Buren, on Lake Erie...
- A Discourse in Commemoration of the Lives and Services of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson..., 1826
- An Examination of the Various Charges Exhibited against Aaron Burr, Esq...., 1803
- Acts and Laws of His Majesty's Colony of Rhode-Island..., 1752
- Catalogus Senatus Academici...in Universitate Harvardiana, Cantabridgiae..., 1845
- Harvard Graduates Magazine, vol. 10, no. 39
- Harvard Crimson, vol. 40, no. 53
- Harvard Lampoon, vol. 39, nos. 1-3, 7, 8, 10, vol. 40, nos. 6, 7, 9, 10
- Harvard Advocate, vol. 70, nos. 8-10, vol. 71, no. 1, 3-5, 7-8, vol.74, nos. 1, 3, 9
- New York Times, picture section 6, Dec. 15, 1918; picture sections 5-6, Dec. 22, 1918
By: Anne Engelhart
- Howe family. Additional papers of the Julia Ward Howe family, 1758-1984 (inclusive), 1813-1945 (bulk): A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA