Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
Copying. Records may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
5.21 linear feet ((6 + 1/2 file boxes, 2 card boxes, 1 oversize box) plus 2 folio folders, 1 folio+ folder, 4 photograph folders, 1 folio box of photographs, 1 volume of photographs, 8 slides, 15 negatives)
A selection of the photographs in this collection are or will be cataloged in VIA, Harvard University's Visual Information Access database. Others, referred to as "uncataloged" photographs, are not of sufficient research interest to warrant cataloging and are simply treated as part of the documents they accompany; they are marked on the back with an asterisk in square brackets [*].
Fernside closed in 1989. Jocelyn and Richard Morrison purchased the house in 1994, restoring the building to its original floorplan of 1835. In 1996, they reopened Fernside as a bed and breakfast.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records of Fernside were given to the Schlesinger Library by Richard and Jocelyn Morrison in 2005 and 2006.
Accession numbers: 2005-M168, 2006-M8
Processed by: Laura Peimer
Numerous vacation slides to Europe and throughout America (ca.1950s-1960s), as well as some general views of the area around Fernside, have been removed from the collection. The following published materials have been transferred to Harvard University Archives:
- A Medley of Heirs: A Musical Comedy in a Prologue (Pi Eta Society of Harvard University, 1917)
- "The White Elephant:" A Musical Comedy in Two Acts (Hasty Pudding Club of Harvard College, 1916)
- A Catalogue of Baker's Plays (Walter H. Baker Company: Boston) (2 copies)
- A Selected list of Baker's Plays (Walter H. Baker Company: Boston)
- Baker's Drama-Gram (Walter H. Baker Company: Boston)
- Baldwin and Newton. Standard College Songs (Ginn and Company: Boston, 1914)
- Boston Women's Health Course Collective. Our Bodies Our Selves: A Course by and for Women (BWHCC: Boston, 1971)
- Buranelli, Prosper, et al. The Cross Word Puzzle Book (Simon and Schuster, Inc.: New York, 1935)
- Buranelli, Prosper, et al. The Cross Word Puzzle Book (Simon and Schuster, Inc.: New York, 1936)
- Clark, Kenneth S., ed. The Everybody Sing Book for Home School and Community (Paull Pioneer Music Corp: New York, 1935)
- College Songs (Oliver Ditson Company: Boston, 1913)
- Elsom, Dr. J. C. Social Games and Group Dances: A Collection of Games and Dances Suitable for Community and Social Use (J.B. Lippincott Company: Philadelphia, 1919)
- 59 Piano Solos You Like To Play (G. Schirmer Inc.: New York)
- Frobisher, J.E. Make-Up Book with an Appendix of Hints on Acting (Walter H. Baker & Co.: Boston)
- Frost, Sarah Annie. The Book of Tableaux and Shadow Pantomimes (Dick & Fitzgerald: New York, 1869)
- Graeffe, Clare A. et al. 255 Games to Play (Edward J. Clode, Inc.: New York, 1929)
- Hall, Warren J. Word Hunt: The Last Word in Word Games (The Vanguard Press: New York, 1932)
- Longstreth, Edward, et al. What'll We Do Next? (The Reilly & Lee Company: New York, 1930)
- Making Up by Miner's (The Wolff, Fording Co.: Boston)
- Miller, Catherine Atkinson. Stunts of All Lands (Richard R. Smith, Inc.: New York, 1930)
- Miller, Catherine Atkinson. Stunt Night Tonight! (Harper & Brothers: New York, 1928)
- Morgan, Geoffrey F. et al. Tulip Time An Operetta in Two Acts (The H.T. Fitzsimons Co.: Chicago, n.d.)
- Morton, Edward, et al. "San Toy" A Chinese Musical Comedy (The John Church Company: New York, 1899)
- Noble, Gilbert Clifford. The Most Popular National Songs (Hinds, Noble & Eldredge: New York, 1907)
- O'Hara, Geoffrey. Golden Treasury Song Book for Schools, Homes, Clubs and Community Singing (Robbins Music Corporation: New York, 1943)
- Parker, Arnold. Ping-Pong: The Game and How to Play It (Jordan Marsh Co.: Boston, 1902)
- Rohrbough, Katherine Ferris, ed. Successful Stunts: Fifty Short, Impromptu Dramatic Stunts for Social Occasions (Richard R. Smith, Inc.: New York, 1929)
- Stevens, David. Latin American Songs: For Unison and Two Part Singing with Piano Accompaniments (C.C. Birchard & Co.: Boston, n.d.)
- Sunshine: A Soulful Magazet (Vol. viii, No. 8, August 1931)
- Surette, Thomas W. et al. The Home and Community Song Book (E.C. Schirmer Music Co.: Boston, 1931) (3 copies)
- The GEM Dance Folio for 1942: Containing the Season's Successes arranged as Fox Trots, Waltzes, Polkas, Marches (Shapiro, Bernstein & Co., Inc.: New York)
- The Golden Book of Favorite Songs (Hall & McCreary Company: Chicago, 1923)
- The Silver Song Series: Familiar Songs and Hymns for Institutes and Recreational Singing in School and Home (Silver, Burdett & Company: Boston, 1915)
- The Worlds Collection of Patriotic Songs and Airs of Different Nations (Oliver Ditzon Company: Boston, 1903)
- Waite, Henry Randall. College Songs: A Collection of New and Popular Songs of the American Colleges (Oliver Ditson Company: Boston, 1890)
- Wheeler, Roger. Let's Play Charades (Fitzgerald Publishing Corporation: New York, 1931)
- Zeiner, Edward J. A. The High School Song Book for Use in Boys' and Mixed High Schools (The Macmillan Company: New York, 1916)
By: Laura Peimer
- Fernside (Princeton, Mass.). Records of Fernside, 1878-1998: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- Processing of this collection was made possible by the generosity of Clara Schiffer.
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA