Audio collection of Betty Friedan, 1963-2007
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
Copying. Audiovisual materials may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
3 phonograph records
Series I, Radio broadcasts, 1963-1995, includes radio broadcasts that feature Friedan in interviews and delivering speeches at national conferences such as the National Organization for Women (NOW) and the 1972 Democratic National Convention.
Series II, Speeches, 1974-1999, includes Friedan speaking to groups as diverse as the Girl Scouts Council of Northwest Cook County, Illinois, women in Iran and Montana, the Commonwealth Club of California, and American Society of Aging, as well as a debate between Friedan and Phyllis Schlafly at Armed Forces Staff College.
Series III, Lectures and symposia, 1967-1991, includes university lectures by Friedan, as well as Economic Think Tank for Women and Women, Men, and Media symposia, etc.
Series IV, Miscellaneous,1960-2007, includes a variety of material such as recordings for personal research, an oral history with Friedan, recordings of her 65th and 75th birthday parties, her mother's memorial service, and friends' remembrances after Friedan's death.
- Series I. Radio broadcasts, 1963-1995
- Series II. Speeches, 1974-1999
- Series III. Lectures and symposia, 1967-1991
- Series IV. Miscellaneous, 1960-2007
Immediate Source of Acquisition
These audio materials were given to the Schlesinger Library by Betty Friedan and Marlene Sanders from 1996 through 2007.
By: Melissa Dollman
- Ageism--United States
- Aging--Social aspects--United States
- Authors, American
- College teachers--United States
- Equal rights amendments--United States
- Feminism and architecture
- Feminism--United States
- Feminists--United States
- Friedan, Betty. Feminine mystique
- Friedan, Betty. Fountain of age
- Friedan, Betty. Second stage
- Mass media and sex
- Older women--United States
- Oral histories
- Phonograph records
- Radio programs
- Sex role
- Sexual division of labor
- Women in mass media
- Women political activists--United States
- Women--Employment--United States
- Women--United States--Social conditions
- Friedan, Betty. Audio collection of Betty Friedan, 1963-2007: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA