Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
Copying. Videotapes may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Series I, SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS, TELEVISION APPEARANCES, ETC.1981-1997 (#1-17), is arranged in three subseries:
Subseries A, Speaking engagements and home movie footage, 1991-1998 (#1-6), includes speeches and interviews recorded live at conferences in the United States and Canada. There is also a home movie of Dworkin and her family shot during her childhood.
Subseries B, Television appearances, 1981-1997 (#7-13), contains recordings of Dworkin on talkshows, featured in vignettes about her career, and readings.
Subseries C, Research Materials, 1981-1982 (#14-17), contains commercially distributed and other recordings of or about pornographic material.
Series II, OMNIBUS,1990-1991 (#18-132), is arranged into five subseries:
Subseries A, VHS, NTSC, 1990-1991 (#18-27), includes all source tapes in VHS format and in NTSC standard.
Subseries B, VHS, PAL, 1990-1991 (#28-69), includes all source tapes in VHS format and in PAL standard. Note there is no Roll tape #1 or #12.
Subseries C, 3/4-inch U-matic, PAL, 1990-1991 (#70-72), includes all source tapes in 3/4-inch U-matic format and in PAL standard.
Subseries D, Hi8, NTSC, 1990-1991 (#73-77), includes all source tapes in Hi8 format and in NTSC standard.
Subseries E, BetacamSP, PAL,1990-1991 (#78-132), includes all source tapes in BetacamSP format and in PAL standard. Note there is no source tape #32 and source tapes #100 and above are numbered non-sequentially.
Dworkin was the author of several books including Woman Hating (1974), Our Blood: Prophecies and Discourses on Sexual Politics (1976), Pornography: Men Possessing Women (1981), Right-Wing Women (1983), Intercourse (1987), Letters from a War Zone: Writings, 1976-1989 (1989), Scapegoat: The Jews, Israel, and Women's Liberation (2000), and Heartbreak: The Political Memoir of a Feminist Militant (2002). She was also the author of short stories and novels including Ice and Fire (1987) and Mercy (1991). In addition, Dworkin lectured widely and contributed to numerous periodicals and anthologies.
In 1983, with lawyer Catharine MacKinnon, Dworkin drafted a controversial civil rights ordinance defining pornography as sex discrimination. An activist working on behalf of many causes including abortion rights, she advised women and groups on issues of rape, battery, pornography, and incest in the United States and abroad.
Andrea Dworkin died April 9, 2005, in Washington, D.C.
- Series I. SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS, TELEVISION APPEARANCES, ETC. 1981-1998 (#1-17)
- ___Subseries A. Speaking engagements and home movie footage, 1991-1998 (#1-6)
- ___Subseries B. Television appearances, 1981-1997 (#7-13)
- ___Subseries C. Research Materials, 1981-1982 (#14-17)
- Series II. OMNIBUS , 1990-1991 (#18-132)
- ___Subseries A. VHS, NTSC, 1990-1991 (#18-27)
- ___Subseries B. VHS, PAL, 1990-1991 (#28-69)
- ___Subseries C. ¾-inch U-matic, PAL, 1990-1991 (#70-72)
- ___Subseries D. Hi8, NTSC, 1990-1991 (#73-77)
- ___Subseries E. BetacamSP, PAL, 1990-1991 (#78-132)
These videotapes were included with the papers of Andrea Dworkin (MC 540) that were acquired from Andrea Dworkin by the Schlesinger Library in November 2001. Additional materials were received in April 2002.
By: Melissa Dollman
- Abused women
- Authors, American--20th century
- Debates and debating
- Erotic literature, French
- Family violence
- Feminism--United States
- Feminists--United States
- Fetishism (Sexual behavior)
- Freedom of the press--United States--Public opinion
- Lesbians--United States
- Male domination (Social structure)
- Omnibus (Television program : 1967-2003)
- Political correctness
- Pornography--Law and legislation--Indiana--Indianapolis
- Pornography--Law and legislation--Minnesota--Minneapolis
- Pornography--Law and legislation--Washington--Bellingham
- Pornography--Psychological aspects
- Pornography--Social aspects
- Prostitution--Psychological aspects
- Publishers and publishing
- Serial murders
- Sex crimes
- Sex discrimination against women
- Television programs
- Wife abuse
- Women political activists
- Women's rights
- Women--Crimes against
- Women--Legal status, laws, etc.--United States
- Women--United States--Social conditions
- Dworkin, Andrea. Videotape collection of Andrea Dworkin, 1981-1998: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA