Videotape collection of the NOW Legal Defense & Education Fund, 1984-1990
Coverage of women's issues through television talk shows and news programs, interviews, public service announcements, and footage of conferences relating to women
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Access. Collection is open for research. An appointment is necessary to use any audiovisual material.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright. Copyright in the videotapes created by the NOW Legal Defense & Education Fund is held by the NOW Legal Defense & Education Fund. Copyright in other videotapes in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Videotapes may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
These videotapes include news coverage of women's issues, television talk shows and programs, interviews, public service announcements, and footage of conferences relating to women.
Tapes are listed in chronological order by the date on which the material was aired or produced, with the following exceptions: 1) News reports of different dates compiled on one tape are arranged by the date of the earliest item. (Compilations were made by the donor, not the processor.) 2) A tape for which the date of production is unknown or approximate is listed chronologically but after those with more specific dates (e.g., a tape produced "some time in 1988" is listed after one produced on December 31, 1988, although the material on the former tape was probably produced before December 31.
Television program titles appear in quotation marks. Quotation marks also indicate a title given by the donor on the tape label.
All are 1/2" videotapes, with sound and color. Some information about dates and networks is the processor's best estimate.
NOW LDEF was established in 1970 as "a public service organization dedicated to achieving equality for women and girls." It functions as the education and litigation arm of the National Organization for Women, providing legal assistance to women and educating the public on gender discrimination and other equal rights issues. Its purpose is to combat, by legal action and educational and community-based projects, discrimination based on race, sex, religion, or national origin. NOW LDEF has sponsored the Women's Media Project, the Project on Equal Education Rights (PEER), the National Judicial Education Program to Promote Equality for Women and Men in the Courts, the Women's Economic Rights Project, and the Family Law Project.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession number: 93-M65
These videotapes were given to the Schlesinger Library in 1993 by the National Organization for Women Legal Defense & Education Fund.
Processed: March 1996
By: Katherine Herrlich
- AIDS (Disease)--United States
- Abortion services--Employees--Crimes against--United States
- Abortion--United States
- Abused women--United States
- Broadcasters--United States
- Brownmiller, Susan
- Child support--United States
- Crisp, Mary Dent, 1923-2007
- Divorced women--Legal status, laws, etc.
- Educational law and legislation--United States
- Equal rights amendments--United States
- Fatherhood--United States
- Goldsmith, Judith
- Journalists--United States
- Kissling, Frances, 1943-
- Lawyers--United States
- Lesbians--United States
- Marriage--United States
- Maternity leave--United States
- Motherhood--United States
- National Organization for Women
- Newspaper editors--United States
- Pay equity--United States
- Poor women--United States
- Pro-choice movement--United States
- Pro-life movement--United States
- Rape--Massachusetts--New Bedford
- Sex discrimination against women--Law and legislation--United States
- Sex discrimination in education--United States
- Sex discrimination in employment--United States
- Sexual harassment--United States
- Surrogate motherhood--United States
- Teenage mothers--United States
- Women alcoholics--United States
- Women broadcasters--United States
- Women in community organization--United States
- Women journalists--United States
- Women lawyers--United States
- Women newspaper editors--United States
- Women--Employment--United States
- Women--Legal status, laws, etc.--United States
- Women--Political activity--United States
- World Conference to Review and Appraise the Achievements of the United Nations Decade for Women (1985 : Nairobi, Kenya)
- Youth--Sexual behavior
- NOW Legal Defense & Education Fund. Videotape collection of the NOW Legal Defense & Education Fund, 1984-1990: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future. In addition to its traditional strengths in the history of feminisms, women’s health, and women’s activism, the Schlesinger collections document the intersectional workings of race and ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and class in American history.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA