Skip to main content
COLLECTION Identifier: RG XIV

Records of the Radcliffe College Health Center, 1923-1961 (inclusive), 1942-1961 (bulk)

Overview

Administrative records of the Radcliffe College Health Center, including correspondence, meeting minutes, business records, regulations, and informational guides and pamphlets.

Dates

  • 1923-1961
  • Majority of material found within 1942-1961

Language of Materials

Materials in English.

ACCESS RESTRICTIONS

Access. Records are closed for 50 years from the date of creation except with the permission of the Dean of the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study. Student records are closed for 80 years from the time of separation. Records must be screened by archivist before research use. Appointment may be required. Contact public services.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright. Copyright in the records created by the Radcliffe College Health Center is held by the President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.

Copying. Records may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.

Extent

30.57 linear feet (71 file boxes, 1 folio box)
The collection is arranged in four series: 1. Medical records of undergraduates, 1952-1961; 1a. Medical records of Management Training Program students; 2. Medical records of graduate students, 1947-1956; and 3. Administrative records, 1923-1958.

Series 3 of RG XIV, consists of administrative records relating to the Radcliffe College Health Center, including correspondence between doctors and college administrators, meeting minutes, medical and immunization requirements and forms for students, informational guides and pamphlets, and other miscellaneous administrative records.

HISTORY

Supervision of the health of Radcliffe College students was originally by the Department of Physical Education. In 1924 the first full-time health consultant was appointed; in 1927 the Department of Health Education was established under the direction of the College Physician, working with the Director of Physical Education and a part-time consultant in Mental Hygiene (1930-1938). The medical offices moved in 1942 and became the Radcliffe College Health Center to provide expanded medical services. The Health Center merged with the Harvard University Health Services in 1961.

Physical Location

Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.

Processing Information

Processed: October 2007

By: Amanda Schmidt
Link to catalog
Title
Radcliffe College. Health Center. Records of the Radcliffe College Health Center, 1923-1961 (inclusive), 1942-1961 (bulk): A Finding Aid
Author
Radcliffe College Archives, Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
EAD ID
sch01163

Repository Details

Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository

The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future.

Contact:
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA
(617) 495-8647