Radcliffe College Houses records, 1954-1973
Records of Radcliffe College's dormitories and off-campus houses.
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright. Copyright in records created by Radcliffe College Houses is held by the President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Extent3.34 linear feet (8 file boxes)
Collection contains records of Cabot House (formerly South and East), 1965-1971, including correspondence with house affiliates, lists of students, financial records, and publicity information; minutes of the Committee on House and Undergraduate Living; and student papers from the seminar: The Changing Face of Eve. North House records include Holmes Hall Concert Series, 1957-1962.
The House system at Radcliffe, consisting of North, Cabot, and Currier Houses, began in 1962, as an experimental reorganization of the College’s nine dormitories and sixteen off-campus houses into three centers: North, South, and East. In 1970, when Currier House was opened, East and South Houses were combined. In 1984 South was renamed Cabot House in honor of Thomas Dudley Cabot ’19 and Virginia Wellington Cabot. As a result of the Harvard/Radcliffe merger agreement of 1971, Harvard assumed management of the Radcliffe Houses and integrated them into the Harvard House System.
East House: Masters
- Kenneth and Ann Thimann, February 1962 - June 1964
- Anthony and Marilyn Oettinger, 1964/1965-1967/1968
- Jerome and Cele Kagan, 1968/1969
- Frederick and AnnaMaria Abermethy, 1969/1970
South House/now Cabot: Masters
- David and Mary McClelland, February 1962, 1962/1963
- Samuel and Margaret Thorne, 1963/1964-1966/1967 (except for 1st semester 1965/1966 Richard and Harriet Baxter)
- Senator Maurine Neuberger, 1967/1968
- Richard and Harriet Baxter, 1968/1969-1969/1970
- Frederick and AnnaMaria Abernethy, 1970/1971
- Mary I. Bunting, 1971/1972
- Martin and Anne Peretz, 1972/1973-
North House (now Pforzheimer): Masters
- Harold and Elma Martin, February 1962, 1962/1963
- Giles and Esther Constable, 1963/1964-1966/1967
- John and Joyce Parry, 1967/1968-1969/1970
- Edward and Joan Keenan, 1970/1971- (except for 1st semester 1970/1971: Victor and Bernice Jones)
Currier House: Masters
- Jerome and Blanche Bruner, 1970/1971
- Paul and Ursula Levine, 1971/1972-
Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
- Radcliffe College Houses records, 1954-1973: A Finding Aid
- Radcliffe College Archives, Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future. In addition to its traditional strengths in the history of feminisms, women’s health, and women’s activism, the Schlesinger collections document the intersectional workings of race and ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and class in American history.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA