Records of the Mothers' Club of Cambridge, 1881-1942
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
Copying. Records may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
.63 linear feet (1 + 1/2 file boxes)
The Club always continued the custom of having a program: either a paper by one of the members, usually at the closed meetings, or a talk by an outside speaker at an open meeting, to which members could bring guests. The original emphasis on problems connected with their own children changed almost immediately to include programs of a far wider scope, particularly those concerned with improving the conditions for children in the less privileged sections of Cambridge.
As the accompanying records show, these programs continued to offer varied contributions both by the members themselves and by many outsiders among whom were noted Harvard professors. The Club members are recorded as heartily favoring the new "Annex" with the hope that its influence on Cambridge would be an improving one. Much later, in 1921, Radcliffe's President Comstock addressed the group following her attendance that summer in Honolulu at the highly respected Institute of Pacific Relations. Still later, daughters of Club members also gave their experiences, among these being Radcliffe's Sarah Wambaugh. Over the years the meetings always aimed to provide something of stimulating interest in addition to congenial sociability. This custom, however, required a sizable group, which accounts for the reduction in meetings in the final two years and for the regretful decision in 1942 to suspend meetings "until after the war".
The Mothers' Club, which in 1942 had voted to suspend for the duration of the war, did not resume activities at its close. Their previous membership of 14 had now become even smaller, with several of these in poor health. At this time, owing to the illness of the secretary, the Club records (the book "Mothers in Council", anniversary records and secretary's reports from 1878-1942) were kept by the president, then Mrs. Davis R. Dewey who, at the time of her death, was looking for a permanent home for them.
Now with the Archives not only established in permanent quarters but also eager for material of this nature in the 19th century, the surviving members of the Mothers' Club of Cambridge take great pleasure in presenting to the Radcliffe Archives all existing records of the Club which from 1878 to 1942 had met for over 60 years. (February 25, 1953.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of The Mothers' Club of Cambridge (acc. no. 54-3) received thru Miss Emily Sibley, 41 Hawthorne St., Cambridge, Massachusetts. Received March 1953. Gift of Mrs. William C. Koch, 9 Waterhouse St. Cambridge, Massachusetts or 787 Goodrich Ave. St. Paul, Minnesota (acc. no. 54-23). Received January 12, 1954.
- Box 1: Folders 1-9, volumes 1-6
- Box 2: Volumes 7-15
- Mothers' Club (Cambridge, Mass.). Records of the Mothers' Club of Cambridge, 1881-1942: A Finding Aid
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA