Commissions on the Status of Women collection, 1967-2004
State and local reports, minutes, membership lists, newsletters, and task force and conference material for the President's Commission on the Status of Women.
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright. Copyright in the materials created by the Commissions on the Status of Women as well as copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Extent5.84 linear feet (14 file boxes)
Collection is organized alphabetically by state and includes state and occasionally local commission reports, minutes, membership lists, brochures, newsletters, and task force and conference material.
Established by President John F. Kennedy in 1961, the President's Commission on the Status of Women undertook a 22-month study "to examine and recommend remedies to combat the...prejudices and outmoded customs [that] act as barriers to the full realization of women's basic rights." Its report, issued in 1963, spurred the Women's Bureau of the United States Department of Labor to spearhead the creation of state commissions on the status of women. By 1966, 45 states had commissions studying the condition of women within their jurisdictions, and by 1976, there were 82 local commissions, primarily in cities or highly urbanized counties.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession number: 2003-M63
Material removed from the records of the National Association of Commissions for Women, and other manuscript collections.
- Box 1: Alabama - Arkansas
- Box 2: California
- Box 3: California (San Diego, etc.) - Delaware
- Box 4: District of Columbia - Florida
- Box 5: Georgia - Illinois
- Box 6: Illinois (continued) - Kentucky
- Box 7: Kentucky - Maryland
- Box 7A: Maryland - Massachusetts
- Box 8: Massachusetts - Michigan
- Box 9: Minnesota - Nebraska
- Box 10: Nebraska (continued) - New York
- Box 11: New York (continued) - Pennsylvania
- Box 12: Pennsylvania (continued) - Texas
- Box 13: Utah - Wyoming
Processed: April 2005
- Commissions on the Status of Women collection, 1967-2004
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute Repository
The preeminent research library on the history of women in the United States, the Schlesinger Library documents women's lives from the past and present for the future. In addition to its traditional strengths in the history of feminisms, women’s health, and women’s activism, the Schlesinger collections document the intersectional workings of race and ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and class in American history.
3 James St.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA