Mark DeWolfe Howe research materials relating to life of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Extent33 boxes (13.5 linear feet)
The correspondence series are primarily MDH’s transcripts of original letters in the OWH collection. Some transcripts are of letters written by OWH, but the originals are held at another repository. However, there is some original correspondence in the collection which was collected by MDH in the process of researching OWH's life. There is also some correspondence between MDH and donors. Mixed in with some of the correspondence are some of MDH's handwritten notes.
- May 22, 1906 b. Boston, Massachusetts. s. Mark Antony De Wolfe and Fanny Huntington Howe.
- 1928 A.B. Harvard College
- 1933 LL.B. Harvard Law School
- February 19, 1935 m. Mary Manning; children: Susan, Fanny, Helen
- 1933 to 1934 Secretary to Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
- 1933 Admitted to the Massachusetts Bar
- 1933 to 1937 Practiced in Boston with Hill, Barlow, Goodale and Wiswall
- 1937 to 1945 Professor of Law, University of Buffalo School of Law
- 1941 to 1945 Dean of the University of Buffalo School of Law
- 1945 to 1967 Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
- 1966 to 1967 Charles Warren Professor of American Legal History, (appointed, December 1965)
- February 28, 1967 d. Cambridge, Massachusetts
- May 22, 1906
- b. Boston, Massachusetts. s. Mark Antony De Wolfe and Fanny Huntington Howe.
- A.B. Harvard College
- LL.B. Harvard Law School
- February 19, 1935
- m. Mary Manning; children: Susan, Fanny, Helen
- 1933 to1934
- Secretary to Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
- Admitted to the Massachusetts Bar
- 1933 to1937
- Practiced in Boston with Hill, Barlow, Goodale and Wiswall
- 1937 to 1945
- Professor of Law, University of Buffalo School of Law
- 1941 to 1945
- Dean of the University of Buffalo School of Law
- 1945 to 1967
- Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
- 1966 to 1967
- Charles Warren Professor of American Legal History, (appointed, December 1965)
- February 28, 1967
- d. Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Cases on Church and State in the United States. 1950, 1952.
- Constitutional Law; cases and other problems with Paul A. Freund, Arthur E.Sutherland, Ernest J. Brown. 1954, 1967.
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes: The Shaping Years, 1841-1870. 1957.
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes: The Proving Years, 1870-1882. 1963.
- The Garden and the Wilderness: Religion and Government in American Constitutional History. 1965.
- Civil Rights, The Constitution and the Courts, by Archibald Cox, Mark De Wolfe Howe, and J.R. Wiggins.1967.
- Series I. Major Correspondence, 1874-1935 1874-1935
- ___ Subseries A. Einstein, Lewis, 1903-1932 1903-1932
- ___ Subseries B. Frankfurter, Felix, 1912-1934 1912-1934
- ___ Subseries C. Gray, John Chipman, 1883-1914 1883-1914
- ___ Subseries D. Gray, Nina, 1888-1932 1888-1932
- ___ Subseries E. Laski, Harold, 1916-1935 1916-1935
- ___ Subseries F. Pollock, Frederick, 1874-1932 1874-1932
- Series II. General Correspondence, 1858-1935 1858-1935
- ___ Subseries A. General, Group II, 1858-1935 1858-1935
- ___ Subseries B. General, Group III, n.d. n.d.
- ___ Subseries C. Correspondence by OWH, 1864-1934 1864-1934
- ___ Subseries D. Kaneko, Kentaro, 1878-1935 1878-1935
- Series III. Judicial Papers, 1882-1931 1882-1931
- Series IV. MDH research materials, 1858-1968 1858-1968
- ___ Suberies A. Miscellaneous Biographical Information, 1862-1965 1862-1965
- ___ Subseries B. MDH Correspondence, 1860-1966 1860-1966
- ___ Subseries C. Bio material re: OWH, 1953-1968 1953-1968
- ___ Subseries D. Holmes - uncollected Essays, 1858-1912 1858-1912
- Within each series and/or subseries individual items orfolders are identified by box and folder number. For example, thenumber 5-12 corresponds to box 5, folder 12.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Copies
- The John G. Palfrey (1875-1945)Collection of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Papers, 1715-1938;
- The Mark DeWolfe Howe Research Materials On Oliver WendellHolmes, Jr., 1858-1968;
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.,Addenda, 1818-1978;
- The Edward J. Holmes Collection ofOliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Materials, 1853-1944;
- Letters from Holmes to Lady Castleton Small ManuscriptCollection.
- Howe, Mark DeWolfe. Research materials relating to life of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., 1858-1968
- Harvard Law School Library, Cambridge, MA 02138
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard Law School Library, Historical & Special Collections Repository
Harvard Law School Library's Historical & Special Collections (HSC) collects, preserves, and makes available research materials for the study of the law and legal history. HSC holds over 8,000 linear feet of manuscripts, over 100,000 rare books, and more than 70,000 visual images.
1545 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138 USA