Harold Joseph Berman Essays and Book Reviews
Essays and book reviews by Harold Berman, largely relating to Soviet law, trade, or law and religion.
- 1946 - 1989
Conditions Governing Access
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Special Collections staff for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be directed to the Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
This collection consists of essays and book reviews written by Harold J. Berman and published in various scholarly journals, newspapers, and books. Topics include various aspects of the law, including legal education, legal history, legal philosophy, and the relation between law and religion, as well as numerous essays concerning U.S.-Soviet relations.
b. Hartford Connecticut, 1918.
A.B. Dartmouth; studied at the London School of Economics; M.A. Yale, 1942
Served in U.S. Military
Assistant Professor, Stanford, 1948
Visiting Professor of Law, Harvard Law School (HLS), 1948-49
Assistant Professor of Law, HLS, 1949-52
Professor of Law, HLS, 1952-73
Story Professor of Law, HLS, 1973-76
James Barr Ames Professor of Law, HLS, 1976-84; emeritus, 1984-present
Specialist in Soviet and Russian law
- SERIES I: Essays on Soviet law, the Soviet Union, andU.S.-Soviet relations (other than trade relations), 1946-1989. 1946-1989. (1-1 to3-33)
- SERIES II: Essays on the Soviet System of Foreign Trade andU.S.-Soviet Trade Relations, 1954-1988. 1954-1988.(3-34 to4-21)
- SERIES III: Essays on Legal Philosophy, Legal History andComparative Law (other than Soviet), 1954-1988. 1954-1988. (4-22 to5-21)
- SERIES IV: Essays on Law and Religion, 1955-1989. 1955-1989. (5-22 to5-43)
- SERIES V: Essays on Legal Education, 1955-1988. 1955-1988. (5-44 to6-4)
- SERIES VI: Essays on Miscellaneous Subjects, 1968-1985. 1968-1985. (6-5 to6-16)
- SERIES VII: Book Review Indices. (6-17 to6-18)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Cpntact Curator of Modern Manuscripts and Archives.
Existence and Location of Copies
The Harold Joseph Berman Collected Papers is available on microfilm; see the HOLLIS record for more information.
Researchers are required to use the microfilm copy of the collection.
- Harold Joseph Berman. Essays and Book Reviews, 1946-1989: Finding Aid
- Harvard Law School Library, Cambridge, MA 02138
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard Law School Library, Historical & Special Collections Repository
Harvard Law School Library's Historical & Special Collections (HSC) collects, preserves, and makes available research materials for the study of the law and legal history. HSC holds over 8,000 linear feet of manuscripts, over 100,000 rare books, and more than 70,000 visual images.
1545 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138 USA