Louis Dembitz Brandeis Visual Materials
Prints and photographs relating to the life and career of Louis Dembitz Brandeis.
- 1856 - 1941
Extent is approximate.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law School Library. Open to the public without restrictions. This collection requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
The vast majority of material in Historical & Special Collections (HSC) is either in the public domain or under copyrights not controlled by HSC. If researchers wish to quote, publish, perform, reproduce or otherwise make any use of an item in HSC's collections that requires permission from the copyright holder(s) of the item, it is the researcher's responsibility to obtain all such permissions
Extent1 collection (Approximately 70 prints and photographs contained in one 16 x 20 in. box and one 20 x 24 in. folder.)
The Louis Dembitz Brandeis visuals collection is a composite collection relating to the life and career of Brandeis. A portion of the collection consists of black and white copy photographs collected for the 1994 exhibition “Louis Dembitz Brandeis of Louisville, Boston, and Washington: a life well spent.” The originals from which these photographs were made are not owned by the Harvard Law School Library, and the copy photographs are for reference only and not to be reproduced for publication.
The prints and photographs have been organized by subject into ten folders. A majority of the original prints and photographs have been individually cataloged and digitized and can be viewed in HOLLIS Images – Harvard University’s online catalog for visual images. Copy photographs are not cataloged in HOLLIS Images.
Biography and Chronology
- November 13, 1856
- Born in Louisville, Kentucky
- Student, Annene-Realschule, Dresden
- LL.B. Harvard Law School
- Lawyer, Warren & Brandeis, Boston
- Instructor at Harvard Law School
- March 23, 1891
- Married Alice G. Goldmark of New York
- Senior partner, Brandeis, Dunbar & Nutter, Boston
- Head of the Provisional Executive Committee for Zionist Affairs
- US Supreme Court Justice
- October 5,1941
- Died in Washington, DC.
Art Office, Langdell Hall
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Composite collection created from various sources.
Processed by Melinda Spitzer Johnston, 2007
- Brandeis, Louis Dembitz (1856-1941) – Statues
- Brandeis, Louis Dembitz (1856-1941) – Homes & Haunts
- Brandeis, Louis Dembitz (1856-1941) – Commemoration – Massachusetts – Cambridge
- Brandeis, Louis Dembitz (1856-1941) – Family
- Brandeis, Louis Dembitz (1856-1941) – Friends & Associates
- Brandeis, Louis Dembitz, 1856-1941
- Brandeis, Louis Dembitz, 1856-1941. Visual materials, 1860s-1941: Finding Aid
- Harvard Law School Library, Cambridge, MA 02138
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard Law School Library, Historical & Special Collections Repository
Harvard Law School Library's Historical & Special Collections (HSC) collects, preserves, and makes available research materials for the study of the law and legal history. HSC holds over 8,000 linear feet of manuscripts, over 100,000 rare books, and more than 70,000 visual images.
1545 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138 USA