Sir William Haley correspondence with Felix Frankfurter
- 1952 - 1965
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
This collection consists of photocopies of correspondence between Felix Frankfurter and Sir William Haley, from 1952 to 1965, which are primarily concerned with British and American politics, law and current events, as well as literature and social affairs. Issues such as obsenity, censorship, presidential elections and the works of Henry James are among the varied topics of conversation, as are mutual acquaintances such as Paul Freund and Dean Acheson.
The originals of these papers are held by the Churchill Archives Centre, Churchill College, Cambridge, England in the papers of Sir William John Haley.
Frankfurter was born in Vienna, Austria in 1882, and immigrated with his parents to New York in 1894. A lifelong Anglophile, Frankfurter was educated at Harvard and was eventually nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1939, where he served until his retirement in 1962. He died in 1965.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- British Broadcasting Corporation
- Curtis, Lionel, 1872-1955
- Eden, Anthony, Earl of Avon, 1897-
- Frankfurter, Felix, 1882-1965
- Great Britain--Politics and government--1945-1964
- Hodson, H. V. (Henry Vincent), 1906-
- Insanity--Jurisprudence--United States
- Obscenity (Law)--United States
- Pornography--Law and legislation--United States
- Thorneycroft, Peter
- Tyerman, Donald
- Times (London, England)
- Wiretapping--Law and legislation--United States
- Sir William Haley. Correspondence with Felix Frankfurter, 1952-1965: Finding Aid
- Harvard Law School Library, Cambridge, MA 02138
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard Law School Library, Historical & Special Collections Repository
Harvard Law School Library's Historical & Special Collections (HSC) collects, preserves, and makes available research materials for the study of the law and legal history. HSC holds over 8,000 linear feet of manuscripts, over 100,000 rare books, and more than 70,000 visual images.
1545 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138 USA