- 1883, 1906-1918
- Wellman, Gordon Boit (Person)
Extent1.43 cubic feet (4 document boxes, 1 pamphlet binder)
Volumes 1 through 6 include Wellman’s Harvard College class notes for medieval and modern history, European history, economics, and philosophy. Volume 2 includes Wellman’s notes on ecclesiastical history from the beginnings of the Church to Saint Augustine taken while he attended New College at the University of Edinburgh. Volume 7 contains Wellman’s notes on theology taken at the Andover Theological Seminary. Volumes 8 through 10 include Wellman’s notes on subjects related to theology and the history of religion taken at the Harvard Divinity School.
Wellman’s skills at organizing data, and what questions, ideas, and thoughts he explored during his school years are illustrated in the notebooks. Essays demonstrate the topics that were of particular interest to Wellman, reading notes reveal his outside reading which supplemented his lecture learning, and his lecture notes provide the essential facts Wellman derived from each lesson.
Notable Harvard professors whose courses are represented in Wellman’s student notebooks are scholar and author George Herbert Palmer, historians Roger Bigelow Merriman, Charles Homer Haskins, Robert M. Johnston, and Archibald Cary Coolidge, and economists Thomas N. Carver and Charles J. Bullock. Other Harvard professors are zoologist George H. Parker, literary critic Bliss Perry, English Professor Barrett Wendell, and philosophers George Santayana and Ralph Barton Perry. Also included are Harvard Divinity School theologians William Wallace Fenn and Edward C. Moore. Notes taken by Wellman in classes given by Albert Parker Fitch, president of the Andover Theological Seminary, Daniel Evans, professor of Christian Theology at the Andover Theological Seminar, and A.R. MacLiven from New College in The University of Edinburgh are also in the collection.
The collection also contain a single issue of The Harvard Lampoon.
Accession number: 2017.401; 2017 May 16.
- Bullock, Charles Jesse, 1869-1941
- Carver, Thomas Nixon, 1865-1961
- College students--Massachusetts--Cambridge.
- Coolidge, Archibald Cary, 1866-1928.
- Ethics -- Study and teaching.
- Evans, Daniel, 1866-1943
- Fenn, William W. (William Wallace), 1862-1932
- Harvard College (1780- ). Class of 1910
- Harvard University -- Comparative literature.
- Harvard University -- Economics.
- Harvard University -- English.
- Harvard University -- History (Field of study)
- Harvard University -- Philosophy.
- Harvard University -- Religion (Field of study)
- Harvard University -- Student life.
- Harvard University -- Students -- Humor.
- Harvard University -- Students -- Periodicals.
- Harvard University -- Students.
- Harvard University -- Theology.
- Harvard University -- Zoolology.
- Harvard student's essays.
- Harvard students' notes.
- Johnston, R. M. (Robert Matteson), 1867-1920
- Merriman, Roger Bigelow, 1876-1945
- Moore, George Foot, 1851-1931
- Wellman, Gordon Boit
- Wendell , Barrett, 1855-1921
- Wellman, Gordon Boit. Gordon B. Wellman student notebooks, 1883, 1906-1918: an inventory
- Description rules
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard University Archives Repository
Holding nearly four centuries of materials, the Harvard University Archives is the principal repository for the institutional records of Harvard University and the personal archives of Harvard faculty, as well as collections related to students, alumni, Harvard-affiliates and other associated topics. The collections document the intellectual, cultural, administrative and social life of Harvard and the influence of the University as it emerged across the globe.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA