Photographic views of Leverett House Library, 1960-1966
- Leverett House Library, 1960-1966
0.15 cubic feet (23 photographs)
The House system was established in 1930 by Harvard University President Abbott Lawrence Lowell with the goal of supplementing the students' education with intellectually, culturally, and socially stimulating living environments, as well as creating a sense of community among students. The Houses accommodate between 350 and 500 students, and at the end of their first year, students are assigned to a House, and they live there through the end of their undergraduate career. Each House typically has a dining hall, common rooms, a library, and recreational spaces.
Leverett House was created in 1931, one of the original River Houses developed at the beginning of the House system. It was named in honor of John Leverett, who served as president of Harvard from 1708 to 1724. He was the first president who was not a clergyman, and according to Samuel Eliot Morison, he "founded the liberal tradition of Harvard University." The Leverett House shield is based on the Leverett family crest, and the rabbit motif is derived from the meaning of the word "leveret," a young hare.
For nearly thirty years, Leverett House consisted of a complex of buildings that included McKinlock Hall, a freshman dorm built in 1926, and Mather Hall, a dormitory built at the conception of the House system with funding from the gift of Edward Stephen Harkness. McKinlock Hall was built with funds from Mr. and Mrs. George A. McKinlock, and the building was named in honor of their son, George Alexander McKinlock, Jr., Class of 1916, who was killed in World War I. Mather Hall was named for Increase Mather, president of Harvard from 1692 to 1701.
In the 1950s, the rising student population caused severe overcrowding in the House system, leading to the construction of new Houses, including the nearby Quincy House in 1959. Mather Hall was transferred from Leverett to Quincy House and New Quincy Hall was built, while the Leverett Towers and Leverett House Library were built for Leverett House.
This collection is part of the Harvard University Archives Photograph Collection: Views, in which Archives staff compiled images, whether acquired individually or removed from larger collections, and arranged them in categories based on locations, buildings, or landscape features for ease of reference.
- Bunting, Bainbridge. Harvard: An architectural history. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1985.
- Education, Bricks and Mortar: Harvard Buildings and Their Contribution to the Advancement of Learning. Cambridge, Mass.: The President and Fellows of Harvard College, 1949.
- Grossman, Alan H. "Leverett's 'Twin Towers' Will Open in Fall of 1960." Harvard Crimson, November 26, 1958. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1958/11/26/leveretts-twin-towers-will-open-in/
- "House History." Leverett House, accessed April 8, 2016. http://leverett.harvard.edu/wiki/House_History
- Harvard University--Buildings--History
- Harvard University--Buildings--Photographs
- Harvard University--Student housing
- Leverett House (Cambridge, Mass.)
- Architecture--Massachusetts--Cambridge--20th century
- College buildings--Massachusetts--20th century
- College buildings--Libraries--20th century
- Student housing--Massachusetts--History
Formats and genres
- Gelatin silver prints
- Photograph collections
Description of the Photographic views of Leverett House Library, 1960-1966, was supported by the Harvard Library's Hidden Collection initiative.
- Photographic views of Leverett House Library, 1960-1966: an inventory
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard University Archives Repository
Holding nearly four centuries of materials, the Harvard University Archives is the principal repository for the institutional records of Harvard University and the personal archives of Harvard faculty, as well as collections related to students, alumni, Harvard-affiliates and other associated topics. The collections document the intellectual, cultural, administrative and social life of Harvard and the influence of the University as it emerged across the globe.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA