Records of the Radio Research Laboratory, 1942-1946
The Radio Research Laboratory (RRL) was established in 1942 to develop countermeasures to radar. These records document research projects. Topics include radar, radar countermeasures, microwaves, research methodology, and the relationship of federally-sponsored research to the industrial sector.
- Harvard University. Radio Research Laboratory (Organization)
Access to Collection
Personnel and student records are restricted for a period of 80 years from the date of their creation. Contact the reference staff in the Harvard University Archives for details.
Extent51.5 cubic feet (150 boxes and 2 volumes)
These records document research projects, including the development of countermeasure prototypes ; operations research, including the development of probability models ; establishment of production guidelines and contracts; as well as the administration of the Laboratory itself. Topics include radar, radar countermeasures, microwaves, research methodology, and the relationship of federally-sponsored research to the industrial sector. The greatest volume of material covers the administration of the laboratory.
History of the Radio Research Laboratory
The Radio Research Laboratory (RRL) was established in 1942 to develop countermeasures to radar. These countermeasures were simultaneously under development at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). First located at MIT , the RRL soon moved to Harvard where it was operated by the University during World War II under contract with the U.S. Office of Scientific Research and Development.
- Administrative Records
- Research Records
This document last updated 2022 September 13.
These records were processed by staff in the Harvard University Archives probably prior to 1985. The finding aid was encoded at the American Institute of Physics and revised to conform to Harvard University guidelines.
- Microwaves -- Research.
- Radar -- Research -- 20th century.
- Science and state -- United States -- 20th century.
- Technical reports.
- Terman, Frederick Emmons, 1900-1982.
- United States. Office of Scientific Research and Development.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Research grants.
- United States. Radio Research Laboratory, Harvard University. Records of the Radio Research Laboratory : an inventory
- Harvard University Archives
- Published in 2000
- Language of description
- This finding aid has been encoded by the Center for History of Physics, American Institute of Physics as part of a collaborative project supported by a grant from the National Endowment of the Humanities, an independent federal agency. Collaboration members in 1999 consisted of: American Institute of Physics, California Institute of Technology, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northwestern University, Rice University, University of Alaska, University of Illinois, and University of Texas.
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard University Archives Repository
Holding nearly four centuries of materials, the Harvard University Archives is the principal repository for the institutional records of Harvard University and the personal archives of Harvard faculty, as well as collections related to students, alumni, Harvard-affiliates and other associated topics. The collections document the intellectual, cultural, administrative and social life of Harvard and the influence of the University as it emerged across the globe.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA